Monday, April 15, 2013

4 Seconds

A few years ago, I convinced one of my training clients to run the Portland Marathon with me.  We both completed the race, and she swore she would never do it again.  haha!

Well, she changed her mind.  She has since become quite the runner, competing in several more marathons and several half marathons.  She has continued to get better and has improved her times drastically since that first race.  So much so that it became a goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon, something that once seemed impossible, became a very realistic goal.

Today, she was not running in the Boston Marathon because she missed qualifying by 4 seconds.  She was 4 seconds too slow, which we have groaned about for the past several months, that she came SO close!  Today, we are incredibly grateful for those 4 seconds.

I cannot express how sad I am that we are living in a world that is becoming a place to fear.  We are forced to question whether we want to participate in something or go somewhere that will have a large crowd, for fear of what might happen.  We have been faced with terrorism, mass gun shootings, bombings....

Those people that were participating in the Boston Marathon today put in a LOT of training hours, not to mention the heart and soul they pored into getting there.  That is an event you can ONLY participate in if you qualify for it.  I know some people that have qualified but never actually got to run the race, because they couldn't afford the travel expenses to get there - the airfare, the hotel, the food money.  Participating in the Boston Marathon is a dream for a lot of people and a once in a lifetime achievement that many do not get to experience.  To have those dreams come to such a devastating end is a travesty.  Not to mention all the people that were injured just for being there to cheer their loved ones on.

Today, I am grateful for a mere 4 seconds.  But what about all those people that actually achieved their goal?  What about all those people that were so proud to be running the streets of Boston today and had every right to boast of their accomplishment?  Even if they are lucky enough not to have been at the spot of the bombings, their experience has been marred by travesty and will be one to be remembered not for their accomplishment, but how lucky they were to survive.

17 comments:

  1. I had the exact same thought, about all the people who trained so hard only to have the joy of this day taken away from them. I'm glad your friend didn't have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to put it, someone stole their joy, in such a terrible way.

      Delete
  2. Grateful that your friend didn't qualify. Horrified about the bombing today in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me cry for all those people, just watching the news.

      Delete
  3. You are such a great writer! Always amazes me how life works out and 4 seconds was her friend even though disappointing at the time. Thankful she
    is okay, you're okay and so sorry to all those who are suffering. Auntie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just never know the plan God has in store.

      Delete
  4. I'm grateful for those 4 seconds. Those poor people. Thinking of you, your friend, and all of those affected by this senseless act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is such an incredibly senseless act. What amazes me though, is all the people that come together in the face of tragedy. When you watch the news, you actually can see people running TOWARD the bombing and not away, simply to help others.

      Delete
  5. Such sadness. I am at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your friend missed by those four seconds. My heart hurts so much for those affected by the actions today. I just do not understand how someone could be so messed up as to think of doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either Stasy. I just don't understand why someone would, or could, be so evil.

      Delete
  7. Thank God for unanswered prayers, in times like this! I am so hurt for all those effected! We have friends in Boston, and thankfully they are all ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well said. the training and joy to run in this marathon is amazing. as you can see from my post i am grateful as well. life feels so precious right now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so saddened by all of this. Tragic hardly even describes what happened yesterday. Two years ago, my dad ran the Boston Marathon and my whole family (including my husband and I) was right there at the finish line, so close to where the bombs went off. My heart breaks for these families, these individuals. Thanks for addressing this on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's crazy how something so tiny, so seemingly innocuous, as four seconds can change the course of one's life forever. I'm so glad your friend wasn't there but so sorry for all who were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is truly heartbreaking when things like this happen. So senseless. Having lived in Boston and being a runner...I was shocked and so saddened by this.

    ReplyDelete