Tuesday, May 16, 2017

And Just Like That...

The owners put this house up for sale last Thursday. The first showing was on Friday, and there was at least four more over the weekend. We were out of town, so they were able to show it at will. When we got home, there was four different business cards left on the kitchen counter from different realtors.

Sunday night I got a message that there was another showing scheduled for the next day at 5:45pm. Great. Right in the middle of dinner time. So I planned to make PB&J sandwiches and just take the kids to the park instead of actually cooking dinner.

I've been following a real estate app on my phone for the past several weeks that keeps me notified of new listings in the area, when sales are pending, and when sales go through. At 4:00pm, I got a notification that our house was now pending. Instant stress headache! I sent the owner a text saying congratulations, and asked if we still had to vacate for the scheduled 5:45 showing. She responded that she wasn't sure, but we should still plan to be gone just in case.

Of course the kids didn't mind going to the park! They gobbled down their sandwiches and played their little hearts out.

So here we are, we have exactly 45 days left in this house and we have no idea where we are going. We still don't know if the VA thing will be going through for the Brookings office. It could be a week, or it could be 3 more months before they give an answer. At this point, we are leaning heavily toward just staying put in the town we are in. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of houses on the market to choose from. The houses that are ones we would be interested in are flying off the market in a matter of days.

I mean, seriously, this house was listed on Thursday and they got an offer on it already on Monday. Just like that, we will be homeless in 45 days.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Still in Limbo

We are still in limbo land, without an answer as to whether we are moving to Brookings or not. It's too long and complicated to even try explaining, but basically the company proposed an idea to the VA and now we are just waiting to hear if that goes through. If it does, we are moving. If it doesn't, we will be staying here.

We are both torn on what we really want to do. There are so many pros and cons for both moving and staying and we were having an extremely hard time deciding what we wanted. Finally, we were able to agree that if this goes through, we will for sure take it. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up. I know that money isn't everything, but having the opportunity for his income to almost double is HUGE. If this thing with the VA doesn't go through, it's just not enough of an incentive.

Outside of the money aspect, taking over the Brookings office is something that excites Tony. He is totally motivated by the idea and challenge of building up that office. He fully believes that he can make the Brookings office one of the top five in the country. To have him be that excited about going to work everyday, is just as huge as the financial reward.

We've been thrown a curve ball in all of this though. We had planned to buy a house regardless of whether or not we decide to move to Brookings. It's been the plan all along to buy a house this spring or summer. Here's the catch though...

Our landlords have decided to put their house, you know, the house we are currently living in? They've decided to sell it! It's being listed and going on the market this Thursday. In TWO DAYS!

Insert curse words.

Soooooo, we had been looking forward to being able to shop the market and find the perfect house to buy. Now we are being forced into a position to just find a flippin house to buy that will be acceptable. Houses are flying off the market right now. We found a house that we wanted to buy and were even willing to give up the idea of Brookings for, because it was an amazing house that was way under priced. As soon as it popped up for sale, we called on it to schedule a time to look at it. Nope, it was already pending sale!!!

We are constantly keeping tabs on the housing market both in Brookings and here in Veneta, so that as soon as we get that answer from the VA we can jump on scheduling tours and hopefully get an offer put in on something.

In the meantime, I am also stuck with making sure this house looks presentable enough for potential buyers to come look at. Can I just say how much I hate that? Having to constantly clean up after two toddlers (and a husband) is not my idea of fun. My fingers are crossed that this house won't sell that quickly, but I think that is just wishful thinking with as fast as houses are selling right now.

We've talked about maybe just buying this house. It's a very nice house, but it's not exactly what we want. We also think they are asking a bit too much money for a house that doesn't have a heat pump, no grass in the backyard, and no storage. On a 75 degree day, this house easily reaches 80 degrees inside, and that's with opening windows at night and closing them when the temp starts to go up in the morning. The kids' rooms get ridiculously hot on hot days, and are also the coldest rooms in the house during the winter. If we decide to buy this house, we know that we will also be investing in a heat pump, an exterminator (for carpenter ants), and a little remodeling to add some storage space.

I guess time will tell. If this house doesn't get an offer right away, we might be able to barter the price down if we do end up staying. However, this isn't really the house of our dreams. Gahhhhh! Buying a house is stressful enough without the thought of potentially being homeless if the timing of this house selling and us buying doesn't pan out exactly.

Hopefully we will get our answer very, very soon as to whether or not we are moving to Brookings. In the meantime, we are just hanging out in limbo land.