Wednesday, October 3, 2018

I Have an Embarrassing Problem

Let's talk about something embarrassing. I stink. As in, I have been suffering from some serious body odor issues. This has been going on for about 6-8 months now roughly, that I just can't seem to battle the body odor. In the past, there might have been a day every once in awhile where I was especially stinky after a workout or something, and it would go away with a shower. No problem. That's normal.

What I have going on right now is not normal. My armpits ALWAYS smell. Even after scrubbing (and scrubbing and scrubbing) in the shower, I get out and can still smell myself. I started using Native deodorant almost 4 months ago, and it has helped considerably, but there is still always an underlying smell. And Lord help us all if I happen to forget to put it on immediately after getting out of the shower. Within an hour, I STINK bad. It's pretty ridiculous.

Have you ever been around someone that smells especially rank? I'm not talking about at the gym where it is to be expected to some degree. Although, I do remember when I worked as a personal trainer at an athletic club, there were a few special circumstances where particular gym members had overwhelming body odor, so bad that you couldn't stand to be in the same room as them. Our manager had to have embarrassing conversations with them because it was turning away other members.


*************


Well, crap!!!! This was NOT supposed to post earlier! I just came back to finish, only to discover I managed to publish it instead of save it. Facepalm. So here's part 2.

There's been a few times I've been around someone that was having a particularly smelly day. Not enough to make you gag, like the few occasional people at the gym, but enough to make you wonder if they forgot their deodorant that day. I always wondered if they knew they had B.O. or if they were oblivious. Now I'm of the mind that they probably knew. 

This is a sensitive subject for me because my grandma is one of those very smelly people. It makes me feel awful even writing that, but it's a real problem. My grandma lives in an assisted living retirement home. Everyone in my family (accept for my mom, because she is a saint in this regard) has a hard time going to visit her because her room smells so powerfully bad. The last time I visited her, it was during dinner and she was in the cafeteria. Usually that's the best place to visit because we aren't stuck in her tiny, smelly room. But on that day, she smelled so bad it was enough to make your eyes water and knock you over. It was all I could do not to gag in her face when I gave her a hug! I have no idea how her table companions could stand it. My sister and my aunt were with me that day. It was very upsetting how bad she smelled. My aunt followed that visit up with a call to the facility to find out why she wasn't being taken care of properly. Come to find out, she had been bathed THAT DAY! And she still stank so bad. I have a real fear of this happening to me. 

I've always thought that body odor came from a lack of good personal hygiene. I'm now coming to the realization that sometimes it truly doesn't matter how well you shower, how much you scrub, and how much deodorant you wear. Some people truly just have a major B.O. issue. Turns out I'm one of them.

I'm pretty sure this is a hormonal thing, and has to do with being perimenopausal (self diagnosed). I am hoping to get a doctor's appointment scheduled by the end of the week. I just need to decide where I'm going and find out who will see me. The fact that I don't ever go to the doctor very often, combined with all the moving we've done in the last 4 years, means that I don't really have a regular doctor. I need to buckle down and make some phone calls.






15 comments:

  1. Sorry, I know nothing right now. I have to assume that you have googled the problem thus the Native deodorant which was new to me. Have you gone to your doctor yet? Probably a good place to ask questions too. I will keep my ears open for you & asked my friend, having been in the medical field she might have an idea. Good luck. Not a fun problem as we well know. Love & hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shoot. This wasn't even supposed to have been published yet! I hadn't finished my post, lol. No, not a fun problem and a little bit of a sensitive subject :(

      Delete
    2. We think alike as I was thinking of Grandma when I made my 1st comment which you probably picked up on that since you were thinking the same thing. Although pretty sure there is another issue happening with Grandma than smelly armpits too. Some possible easy fix solutions mentioned below that I hope will bring some relief to you. BUT still a good idea to go see that doctor as way past due for you!!! I love you!! Aunt D

      Delete
  2. Maybe talk to your doctor? You might need to switch to a different, stronger deodorant (I personally use Secret).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan to talk to a doctor (I need to find one!). I've tried a few different deodorants. The Native brand seems to be working the best, but there's an underlying issue that most likely needs to be dealt with.

      Delete
  3. I've read that you can do a "detox" on your armpits with a clay mask (like the Aztec one you can get on Amazon or at Whole Foods). You mix 1 tablespoon of the mask with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of water. I haven't tried it but I use it as a face mask and it's incredible. Hope you are able to get to the bottom of the issue soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard that before but is definitely very interesting and worth looking into. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Try switching up your diet a bit and see if it changes things. With hormone changes, dairy made me STINKY. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting! I never would have thought about diet affecting a person's body odor, but I suppose it makes sense.

      Delete
    2. Mine is totally related to perimenopause too. You're not alone in this!!!! Try using a soap with a little tea tree oil in it. I've also started putting deodorant on immediately out of the shower, and then washing my armpits and reapplying deodorant before bed.

      I love your blog and your candor. I've followed you for years and reading your posts is always a bright spot for me. Thank you for sharing this - the older I get, the more I realize how much strength there is in vulnerability. ��

      Delete
    3. What a kind thing to say! Thank you so much for being a long time reader. You have made my day. And thank you for the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back to blog land! Have you tried chlorophyll? I had a friend who had good luck with it on her daughter. She put a few drops in a glass of water. It also helps with bad breath. Good luck. Perimenopause is the pits! 😖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not even sure what that is, so will need to do some research! It sounds like an easy thing to try though, so definitely worth looking into. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Boo for stinky. I wonder if this has something to do with menopause? I don't know. I have no ideas. But I think an appointment with a doc is in order, and I'm curious to find out what they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost certain it's a menopause thing. Boo is right!

      Delete