Monday, September 24, 2018

Microblog Monday: Heebie Jeebies


Not long after we moved into our new house, I was standing at the kitchen counter making lunch for the kids and felt a tickle on my foot. I brushed at it with my other foot, looked down, and realized a spider had just ran across my foot! Shudder. That spider is now dead. I know there are a lot of don't-kill-the-spiders kind of people out there that would have caught it and released it outside. I am not one of those people.

On Friday, I was sitting on the couch while the kids were in their rooms for quiet time, and out of the corner of my eye I saw something run behind our tv stand. OMG, was that a MOUSE!? Yes. Yes, it was a f*@#ing mouse. A mouse in my house. We had planned on having a pest control company come out eventually, as the inspection report when we bought the house showed old rat droppings under the house. I hadn't yet called to schedule the appointment though. On Friday, as I was staring down this mouse, I made the call. My mil happened to come by while I was on the phone with them. She immediately went to the store and got a few traps. The kids enjoyed being mouse hunters that afternoon. Ayden seriously thought he could catch it, as it ran from the tv stand to the pantry to the tv stand again, to behind the couches and into the hall closet. I chased this little sucker around, placing a glue trap close to wherever its current hiding place was. Finally, he ended up running onto the glue trap and getting caught. Ohhhh, the squealing! Rylee repeatedly asked me if I was sorry for catching the mouse. Bless her animal loving heart. She kept going in to talk to it. She wanted to feed it. Both her and Ayden were convinced it was a baby mouse and it's mommy was going to be looking for it. They also wanted to keep the damn mouse as a pet.

We went to Tony's parents for dinner that night to celebrate mil's birthday. Tony left early to dispose of the mouse before the kids and I got home. The first thing Rylee did when we got home was go to check on the mouse. We told the kids that daddy let it go outside. We probably shouldn't have lied to them, but they would have been devastated to know the truth. Ayden was very sad because, he will "never get to have a pet!"

Today, I was driving around running errands after dropping the kids off at school. There was a spider hanging from my rearview mirror! When I screamed (yes, I screamed. Sue me.), it dropped down right next to my leg. It's a miracle I didn't wreck the car. I pulled into a driveway at my first opportunity and jumped out of the car, trying to find the spider. Of course I didn't find it. I finally got back in the car and went about my errands, continuously feeling like I had a damn spider crawling around my ankles and up my leg. About an hour later, while pulling into the parking lot to pick the kids up from school, the spider showed up again! It was crawling up my driver-side door. I tried to get it with a napkin (which I had gotten out and ready from my previous attempt to catch this spider), but it dropped down to the floorboard. I quickly parked and got out of the car. This time I DID manage to catch the spider.

So, we are spider and mouse killers. And now I have the heebie jeebies. I'm waiting for another mouse to show up, and every little tingle or itch feels like a spider is crawling over me.


If you'd like to read more #MicroblogMonday posts from other bloggers, please click the link here.



10 comments:

  1. Hate spiders as much as you... & mice...EWWWWWWWW!!! A neighbor is dealing with bats in their house, equally disturbing!!!! But you my dear, are such a good writer I can't help but laugh at this very serious situation!!! So when is that exterminator coming? Be gone little creatures!!! I sure hope they do a good job!! Love exterminators, had them for years but questioning if our new person (huge turnovers) is using just water!!! Going to have to have a discussion!!! But still better than not being protected!!! Hope to have an exterminator for the rest of my life time!!! Good luck!! Love & hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I hope we don't ever have to deal with bats in the house, too! That's awful! The exterminators aren't able to come until October 15th!!!!! Ugh. I was hoping it would happen sooner than that. That's too far away!

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes!! That's far away when you have this problem happening. But hopefully as busy as you all are it will be here before you know it!!

      Delete
  2. You need a cat! The one time I saw a mouse in our house, I suspect the cat brought it in. I picked up one of the cats, gently threw it in the general direction of the mouse, and was impressed with the speed it grabbed the mouse and ran outside. Mouse problem over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids would LOVE a cat! My sister specifically got a cat to help keep the mice away. We are so not animal people, to my children’s chagrin. I appreciate others who love their pets though!

      Delete
  3. You can buy humane mousetraps is where you can actually let them go outside

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to live in a home with a mice problem...we finally got a cat and that was that. Now, we live in a very wooded area so we have lots of spiders of all kinds. Basically we use Home Defense spray inside and out about once a month, and that helps a ton. I feel your pain, though. It’s definitely no fun and super creepy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times I definitely do wish we were pet people! This would be one of them. We have used Home defense spray before, but haven’t at our new house yet. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  5. Yikes!! Bless their hearts in wanting a mouse for a pet! I like dogs I just do not want to take care of anything else ya know?? My husband would love for Bowen to have a dog, not happening!! I just know I would be the one taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete