Friday, October 9, 2015

Day in the Life: Fall 2015

It's time for another DAY IN THE LIFE post!  There is still time to join the link up with My Life in Transition if you'd like to participate as well.  Just click on this link.  But hurry!  The deadline to document your day is October 14th.

I documented yesterday: Thursday, October 8th

Tony: 42  years old
Me: 40 years old (but only for another 8 days!  Can I cry now?)
Rylee: 21.5 months old
Ayden: 21.5 months old

1:10am - I unfortunately wake up because I need to make a trip to the bathroom to go potty.

4:46 - Tony's phone starts ringing.  Can I shoot the person that accidentally butt dialed him?

4:50 - Tony gets up because he's not going to go back to sleep now.  I pray he'll be quiet and not wake the babies!

5:01 - Ayden wakes up.

5:15 - I hear Tony go in and get Ayden.  He also changed his diaper.

5:30 - Rylee cries out.  I race to stop Tony from getting her because she would probably go back to sleep!  Too late.  Now we're all up.  Tony changes her diaper too.  We all cuddle on the couch and watch Leap Frog's Numberland on Netflix.  Ayden and Rylee drink their milk sippys.

6:00 - Tony gives everyone loves before heading out the door, leaving for his mission trip.  I turn on Mickey Mouse.  We're going to Disney on Ice in a few weeks and I want them to know the characters!  Ayden and Rylee fight for cuddling space on me.  No matter how many times I tell them there's enough room for both of them, they still don't like to share their Momma.

7:00 - I go to the bathroom.  They discover the refrigerator doors were left unlocked.

7:10 - I fill snack cups with Cheerios for them to munch on while they alternate between playing and watching cartoons.  We've had a lot of very early wake ups this week, so I leave the t.v. on longer than usual because I'm not very motivated to get moving.

7:45 - I change Ayden's poopy diaper.

7:50 - I get breakfast ready.

8:01 - Ayden and Rylee get put in their high chairs.  It's scrambled eggs, leftover blueberry pancakes, and half a banana for breakfast.  They call bananas "numa."  Sometimes Ayden calls them "manuma."  (I think this is kind of funny considering they both know how to make the "b" sound.  They say baby very clearly!)

While they were busy eating, I slipped out of the room to go to the bathroom.  When I came back a few minutes later, all sippys, forks, plates, bibs, and what was left of breakfast was thrown on the floor.

8:30 - I get them cleaned up (and the floor) and out of the high chairs.  Rylee tries undressing herself.

They play dump ALL toys everywhere, and then play for awhile.

8:50 - I attempt to go get their clothes set out for the day.  As soon as I leave the room they get into the entertainment center, so I go back and bring them into their room with me, shutting the door.

I change Rylee's poopy diaper and battle it out at the same time with Ayden because he keeps trying to take her fresh diaper (better than the poopy one) and the wipes from me, all while I'm holding Rylee's poopy bottom in the air.  He finally gives up and goes to the other end of the changing table and pulls Rylee's hair instead.  I am eventually able to get them both dressed.  It's a challenge getting their clothes out while they are also trying to pull ALL the clothes out of the drawers.

9:15 - I put a load of laundry in.

My "helpers"

9:17 - While they are distracted with the laundry basket, I grab the clean clothes out of the dryer (from yesterday) and throw them on my bed.  I quickly get dressed, brush my teeth, and pull my hair into a ponytail.  I'm not quick enough though, because when I come back into the living room, I find them in the entertainment center again.  Rylee runs when she sees me.  Ayden proudly holds up his finds.  They get put into time out.

Not a fan of time out

9:35 - We all have a quick snack and then start getting ready to leave the house.  I get their water bottles filled, and pack a set of diapers and wipes into the stroller.  I then help Ayden and Rylee get their jackets and shoes on.

9:50 - They get loaded up into the stroller and we make the short walk to Community Playgroup.

10:03 - We arrive.  Ayden and Rylee have a great time playing and all three of us enjoy getting out of the house.

He loves all things that can be pushed!

Arts and Crafts

11:30 - Ayden starts to meltdown and is pretty much mad about everything at this point, and not afraid to let everyone know.  His early mornings are starting to get to him.  We help pick up toys.

11:50 - We sneak out a little early and start our walk home, stopping to talk to a neighbor on the way home.  He asks if we are going to Roseburg to see the President (because of the shooting).  We then agree on our political views.  (Of course I'm not dragging the babies to the madness in Roseburg)

12:03pm - We are back home.  On our way back into the house through the laundry room, I stop and throw the clothes into the dryer.

12:13 - Ayden and Rylee are back in their high chairs for lunch.  It's a simple lunch of turkey slices, green beans, cottage cheese, and veggie straws.  I unload the dishwasher while they eat, stopping to help them spoon the cottage cheese every once in awhile.

12:40 - Clean up lunch and get them out of their high chairs.  They decide to give each other hugs and kisses.  Although, Ayden's hug is more like a choke hold.  lol

So much better than the fighting!
12:50 - Both diapers get changed and their teeth brushed.

12:58 - I change Ayden's diaper again because, of course, he had to poopy in the clean fresh one.

1:07 - They give each other hugs and kisses, and say "nigh-nigh."

1:09 - Both are finally down for naps!  I'm able to sit down for lunch myself, left over lasagna from last night.  I scroll Facebook while I'm eating.

1:45 - Get the next load of laundry ready to go for when they wake up.  I also go through a bin of clothing passed down from a friend for Ayden.  Then I fold the clean clothes that are on my bed from this morning.

2:00 - Sit down to eat a popsicle (or two) and take my turns playing Dice Buddies and Words with Friends.  I have time to read a couple blog posts.  I get a text from my twin mom friend here in town.  We make arrangements for a park play date once all the kids wake up from naps.

2:45 - Ayden wakes up.  I give him a bit to see if he will go back to sleep.

2:55 - Ayden hits full on crying so I go in to get him.  We cuddle on the couch and watch Kipper on Netflix, his favorite show.

3:17 - Rylee is up from her nap.

3:20 - Get a text from my friend saying one of her girls woke up from nap with a high fever. Park date cancelled.

3:25 - Put a load of laundry in.  Ayden confiscates the basket.

I get snacks and water bottles ready so we can have snacks outside.

3:33 - Ayden's diaper gets changed first, then Rylee.  I fail to shut the bedroom door while changing her, so Ayden escapes to the living room and gets into the entertainment center again.  I put Rylee's shoes and socks on while Ayden sits in time out.  Then I get his shoes and socks on.

3:50 - We're finally outside.

They hold up their food all the time, asking me to tell them what it is.
Today's snack is Annie's graham bunnies and raisins.

They decided to move to their chairs instead of the table

Just lounging
Annnnddd, snack now gets dumped at the top of the slide

Being silly

Taking a selfie while Ayden is busy going down the slide over and over.
Note: I get these random strands of curly hair that like to stick straight out from my head!

She loves to play in the dirt!
4:45 - We get the toys picked up and come inside.  Change Rylee's poopy diaper and then get all of our hands washed in the bathroom sink, which they think is pretty cool.

5:00 - Start dinner, just a Boboli pizza for something easy, with pepperoni and green pepper as toppings.  And cheese of course.  Ayden and Rylee stay occupied launching themselves from the laundry basket to the couch over and over again for a good 5 minutes.

They end up in the kitchen with Ayden climbing on top of Rylee and trying to get a horsey ride.  She can't decide if it's fun or not.  She alternates from giggles to crying and back to giggles again.

5:14 - I herd them out of the kitchen so I can put the pizza in the oven.  Rylee has been shouting singing Let It Go over and over, so I turn the song on for her and play it on repeat a couple times through.

I take a few minutes to dust buster the crumbs off the kitchen/dining room floor.  Ayden and Rylee go back to laundry-basket-couch-launching.  While they are distracted doing that, I get the clean clothes out of the dryer and throw them on my bed.  Then I transfer the load in the washer to the dryer.

5:30 - Take the pizza out of the oven.  Have to wait for it to cool off and Ayden is getting impatient.  I turn on Disney radio for something other than Let It Go, but Rylee continues singing it anyway.  Ayden gets distracted by a bug on the floor.

Inspecting the bug.
5:40 - Dinner is dished up and they go into their high chairs.  Pizza with mixed veggies on the side, along with a sippy cup of milk.  I sit down with them for dinner.

6:00 - I load the dishwasher while they finish dinner.  They get a graham cracker when they are ready.

6:13 - Start cleaning them up and get them out of the high chairs.  They play while I finish cleaning up.

6:34 - Bath time!  They L.O.V.E getting baths.  Ayden has discovered laying on his back and "floating."  He's extremely proud of this new skill.  Rylee has become a master bubble blower.  I also have to remind her that Ayden's penis is not for her to play with.

After the bath, they sit on the potty for a bit and we sing the ABC's, Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  Then they get their pj's on.

7:02 - I let them play for a few minutes because they are having fun giggling and laughing together.

7:06 - Time to brush teeth.  It has become an all out war to brush Rylee's teeth in the last week.  Sigh.

She is happy as soon as I leave her alone and stop trying to brush her teeth.

Being silly

7:10 - Story time.  Rylee picks out Grover's Guessing Game About Animals.  We also read Little Blue Truck, Good Night I Love You, and Llama Llama Nighty-Night.  Then Rylee insists we also read Furry Friends.  I can't turn her down.

7:25 - Good night prayers, hugs and kisses.

7:30 - Both are in bed.  It's 15 minutes past their normal bedtime, but hey, I was doing it solo.  I grab the vacuum cleaner from the garage and closed myself in the master bathroom to quickly give it a good sweep, hoping it won't disturb them from going to sleep.  It's just not something I can get done during the day except on a weekend when Tony is home.

7:40 - Turn the vacuum off and listen for babies.  Awww, it's quiet!  Yay!  Go back to the kitchen to finish loading the dishwasher with water bottles, sippy cups, and a few plastic toys that could stand a good washing.  Turn the dishwasher on.

7:48 - Sit down with a popsicle and catch up on social media.

9:44 - I've been lazy long enough.  I had planned on scrubbing the toilet and our bathroom floor tonight, but couldn't bring myself to get up and do it.  I check on the babies and go take a shower.

I couldn't get one that wasn't blurry, and the flash was starting to bother her
so I stopped trying before I woke her up.

10:15 - Take sippys out of the dishwasher to cool off so I can put milk in them for tomorrow morning.  Then I pick up all the scattered toys.

10:23 - Poor milk into the sippy cups.

10:26 - Head to my room to go to bed, only to discover I hadn't folded the laundry on my bed yet.  I decide I'll fold them tomorrow and throw the basket of clean clothes on the floor. I do take the time to fill the other basket with a load to put in the washer in the morning though.

10:35 - Brush my teeth and go to bed.  While in bed, I upload all these pictures to google+ so they are ready to go when I sit down to write this post.  I think I went a little crazy with the pictures today.  There's a lot of them!

11:13 - Put my phone down and go to sleep.


  1. You do so great as a Mommy of twins!!! Quite honestly, I was getting tired around 8am!!! Your day is amazingly busy and oh so funny!!! Made me chuckle many times and just love the pictures of those sweet little ones!!! The kisses and hugs (choke hold) are just so precious!!! You may be feeling every bit your age and rightfully so but you do an amazing job!!! I hope your week-end goes well, have fun at the games and your back up will be back home soon!!! Love and hugs, Auntie

  2. I don't know how you twin mommas do it - heroes. I think you did more before noon than I do all day most of the time. It's a pretty big deal for us when we make it outside to sit on the porch swing for awhile. A shopping trip is a major adventure. You're doing awesome, Amber. Those kiddos are so sweet.

  3. You are such a hard working Mama! I love all the photos!!

  4. Wow! what a hard working Mama. Seems like the kids are getting a lot of fun activities throughout the day :)

  5. Yay! You survived a solo day! You are amazing!

    Tell Ayden that these early morning wake-ups are for the birds. Maybe with the later sunrises he will wake up a little later??

  6. It's so depressing when you go to bed and find clothes that need to be folded or you forgot to put sheets back on... Busy day. I would have tried to take a nap too.