Friday, September 14, 2018

21 Years

We look SO YOUNG!
 9/13/1997

Yesterday we celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. 21 years! I don't feel old enough to have been married for so long. When I told Tony that, he said "we ARE old." No, no we are not. Middle aged is not old! This was one of our anniversary dinner conversations.

The man absolutely drives me crazy most days and has a gazillion annoying habits (and I'm sure I do, too), but he also has a lot of redeeming qualities. In honor of our anniversary, I thought it would be a good time to reflect on the things I love and appreciate about my husband.


  • He tells me he loves me every single day, usually by asking "have I told you today how much I love you?"
  • He is funny (also one of his annoying qualities). He is very quick witted and can come up with a joke faster than anyone else I know.
  • He is amazing at math, which balances us out, because I am soooo not good at math. He can figure how much a tip should be at a restaurant down to the penny in about 10 seconds. Very convenient! He will definitely be the one to help the kids with their math homework.
  • He LOVES his kids and is a great daddy, without question.
  • He loves sports, same as me. And board/card games.
  • He is competitive, but also knows how to be a good sport (most of the time).
  • He is incredibly creative at making up games to play. This comes in handy on long road trips, and/or just to entertain the kids in general.
  • He works hard for our family. He commutes to work, even though he despises it, so we can live in a different area that is better for our family.
  • He is very level headed, calm, and reassuring when I need it the most, meaning when I get myself worked up/upset about things (like the start of preschool this year for example).
  • He has an amazing gift of being able to strike up a conversation and talk with anyone.
I know that there are other amazing qualities that I am not thinking of, but I'd say these are the top 10.

We didn't do anything fancy for our anniversary and don't currently have any plans, although we have talked about trying to arrange for a weekend away. The night before, we realized we could ask his parents to watch the kids and feed them dinner, a HUGE bonus to having moved back closer to family. So the kids had a fun evening with the grandparents, while we were able to enjoy an actual anniversary dinner out.

Through good times and bad, through all the arguments and laughs, through 9 moves in 21 years of marriage (6 in the last 3.5 years), through 14 years of trying to have children, surviving infertility and coming out on the other side, to now being a family of 4. Here's to another 21 years of adventures ahead of us in whatever life has in store.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is a wonderful post, about both of you because you are loving and wise enough to honour what makes your hubby great : ) Happy anniversary and I hope you get a weekend away soon to celebrate some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Avery nice thing to say! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! & you were young my dear!!! I so forgot to wish you HAPPY ANNIVERSARY on the actual day but I had been thinking of you as I always do...always in my heart, never far in my mind. I LOVE your list of qualities for Tony & your dinner conversation!!! All is what make you a special couple/person!! I wish you many more fun conversations/times as a couple & as a family of 4 filled with good memories & always lots of love!!! Love & hugs, Aunt D PS: I thought of you & your anniversary & my forgetfulness in the wee hours of this morning & had planned on getting on fb to send a anniversary GIF & here was this post! Insert heart emoji!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, I love this list! You guys make a great couple. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! That's a lovely list of qualities. It's totally worthwhile shopping to remember what we love about our partners, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stopping, not shopping. Stupid autocorrect.

      Delete
    2. I definitely think it’s important to stop and remember the good qualities! It’s way too easy to get caught up and focus on the negative sometimes. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!!! It sounds like you have a wonderful husband and father for those precious kiddos. A lot of these qualities I find in my husband as well especially being able to talk to strangers, I can never do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our hubbies would get along well! Too bad we didn't live closer :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on 21 years! Glad you guys were able to get away for a kid-free dinner- those are so important no matter how many years you guys have been together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So nice that we had the opportunity for a little date, even if it was only for a few hours!

      Delete