Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Right Now: January Edition

This is the last day to get a January Right Now post done, so I figured I better get on it. Also, I think it's worth noting that this is my third post in just four days! Say whaaaaaat?

Reading: I took the kids to the library yesterday to find some new books to borrow. We came home with three dinosaur books, two ballerina books, and one about Pinkalicious's lemonade stand. I'll let you figure out who picked what books.

Watching: This Is Us. I can't believe we have to wait till after the Super Bowl to watch the next episode! Ugh. I'm also still watching corny Hallmark movies. They have a whole winter theme going that they've moved onto after all the Christmas movies.

Listening: Currently listening to the washing machine since I just put a load of laundry in. I haven't been running, so I haven't been listening to any music or podcasts. I got a new set of wireless earphones for Christmas that I'm looking forward to trying out though.

Drinking: Water, but not even remotely near enough!

Eating: I just finished a bowl of Special K cereal with blueberries and lemon clusters. I'm making Cheeseburger Pasta for dinner tonight. I used to make it all the time because it's a food the kids were guaranteed to eat, but this will only be the second time I've made it in the last year. I'm hoping they will still chow down on it, because I'm tired of fighting with them to eat dinner (and I refuse to make a second dinner just for them).

Wearing: Grey capri running pants, the t-shirt I got when I ran the 5k in December, and my black Central softball sweatshirt from my coaching days. Okay, I lied. It's actually Tony's sweatshirt that I stole from him and made it mine, because my own doesn't actually fit me anymore. That's what happens when you are 60 lbs heavier than before having kids.

Loving: Rock hunting with the kids! I don't know about everywhere else, but in our small corner of the world, rock painting and hunting has become a big hobby. The kids have found a few rocks over the past few months (actually, I found them and then steered the kids in the right direction) and they always get such a kick out of their new treasures. When Tony and I had our weekend away at the coast to celebrate our anniversary, I collected a bag full of rocks from the beach to bring home and paint. I finally started last week while the kids were at school one day, but I've only gotten as far as putting a base coat on so far.

She found this rock outside the dance studio after ballet a few weekends ago.

We found three painted rocks when we went to the park over the weekend.

Rylee found this rock outside the library yesterday. It's like it was made just for her, as it has a ballerina on it!

Anticipating: Our one-on-one dates we have planned for the first weekend in March! Tony will be taking Ayden to a Dinosaur Quest event, and I am taking Rylee to a Princess for a Day event. We were all gonna to go to the dinosaur thing as a family outing, but then I noticed that the Princess for a Day event is the same day. The cost turns out to be almost the same, so we decided it would be a good opportunity for us to have one-on-one dates with the kids.

Hoping: I hope every single day that I'm not screwing up my kids. Rylee has been very difficult lately. She is so fun when she is excited and happy about something, but my goodness, she's been a negative Nelly lately. She frequently says things like, "I'm mad at you," "I woke up grumpy," "I'm tiiiiiirred," "I'm REALLY mad at you," and "this is so frustrating!" And she doesn't just say it once. She repeats it over, and over, and over, and over, and over........ She's also the slowest eater of all time.  We've been having a lot of battles recently, trying to get her to eat her food. It really escalated yesterday morning. I yelled, and we both cried. After talking with Tony last night, we agreed that we both need to back off. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat. We'll put it up and she just won't get anything else to eat until she finally does finish her meal. Oh, because this is only about actual meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The girl would eat snack foods the entire day if we'd let her. I should add that we don't expect her to eat foods she doesn't like. She does this with all food, even the ones she does like! Yesterday the thought crossed my mind that we're raising her to someday have an eating disorder because it seems like it's becoming such a control issue lately. So, I'm hoping we aren't screwing her up. No more fighting over food.

Following: The trial and sentencing of Larry Nassar. It's appalling to me that he was allowed to sexually abuse so many young girls over the course of about 30 years. I used to love watching the gymnasts in the Olympics, but to now know that almost all of them (if not all) were abused by this man... It's so disgusting that he was able to get away with it for so long.

Wondering: When I'll ever get the Christmas decorations all put away! haha! Yep, I still haven't done it, but I do plan on finally getting it done by the end of the week. I haaaaate this chore.

Trying: To have more patience. It's not working very well. See above ↑

Worrying: About putting together a resume. I know this is silly, but the thought of it seriously gives me anxiety. If I was applying for a softball job, I'd have no problem, but trying to come up with the dates for jobs I worked 15-20 years ago is another story altogether! Also, I am not the most computer savvy person when it comes to stuff like that. I don't have to start looking for a job for another 1.5 years, but I am considering trying to get into the school system part time next year, in hopes that it will lead to a full time position the following year.

Planning: To start running again next week. I need to find another 5k to sign up for to give me a little push out the door. It helps to know that I will be doing the Hood to Coast relay, but it's not until August. I need something to work toward in the meantime.

Contemplating: What fun activities I will do with the kids over spring break. I think I want to take them to the Gilbert House Children's Museum one of the days. I need to come up with a few other fun things to do as well. As long as it's nice weather, I am hoping to have a busy week playing outside!





6 comments:

  1. Food and 4 year olds is such a difficult topic! We put out dinner every night and if Izzy decides not to eat it, then so be it. We always include at least one thing that we know she likes and we always have fruit for dessert so if nothing else, she will just eat fruit that night. I think that dinner is just not a big meal for her so we just don't push it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to include something I know they’ll like too, but that doesn’t always work. The hard part for me is dealing with it 3 meals a day. It’s. It always that she WON’T eat, but that it takes her literally 1.5 hours sometimes. Nobody has time for that! Lol. So I’m working on my own attitude adjustment to deal with it better. Like the song, I’ve just got to “Let It Go.”

      Delete
  2. Say whaaaaaat? 3 posts in 4 days!! Makes this Aunt happy!! Loved this one. I love Pinkalicious books!! Wish I was there to read them too!!:) THIS IS US is recorded for after the Super Bowl & I have the recording extended for like 3 hours, just in case like they suggested in case the game runs over!! Don't want to miss this one! Kleenex will be ready!! And Hallmark can never make enough movies. After this Winter fest, then it's on to Valentine movies!! Rock collecting is a hereditary hobby! Grandma Pearl loved her rocks! I love the painted rock idea!! And how fun will your 1 on 1 dates be!!! You two are the best parents even when you worry about screwing them up! The worrying about that possibility is what helps make you good parents. Like a 95 year old friend said on her death bed Friday over & over "We all make mistakes"! I agree though, that I would not fight with her to make her eat. Save it so if she's hungry later, that's what she eats is a good idea to try. Maybe she's a grazer! Sounds like loads of fun still happening at my favorite home away from home!! Take care and good luck with the 5k and 4 year old attitudes (this too shall pass)! Love and hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Pinkalicious actually a series? I had no idea! I’m sure we’ll have new library books for you to read by the time you come visit in March. And if not, we have plenty of other books! 4 year old attitudes will pass, then we’ll have preteen attitudes, and teenager attitudes... I am bracing for the day I hear “I hate you.” 😩

      Delete
  3. My 2 year old just won't eat sometimes so I figure when he is hungry he will eat. He seems to go through phases with it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rylee tends to ask for snacks or treats within 5 minutes of getting up from not eating her meal sometimes. It’s not always that she’s not hungry; she just prefers snack foods all day long! Things have been going better the last few days though.

      Delete