Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2 Month Birthday!

Saturday was the babies' 2 month birthday!  It's amazing to think that we've been parents for 2 months now. After 14 years of trying to start our family, we are actually parents.  Unbelievable.  Sometimes, I really do have a hard time believing it, but that's a story for another day...

I know I'm probably biased, but I do think we have two of the cutest babies!  And they seem to get cuter and cuter almost every day.  I'm going to share all that cuteness with you in a ton of pictures!

Tummy time is exhausting!
Happy Valentine's Day!



Rylee doesn't like tummy time so much...
So she just promptly fell asleep instead

Rylee has had a lot to deal with in her short life so far.  The big ulcer on her hemangioma does seem to be healing with new skin growth coming in.  The smaller ulcers have gotten bigger, but we are treating them, so hopefully they will soon get better as well.  We see the pediatric dermatologist again next Thursday.

In addition to her hemangioma issues, Rylee also seems to be dealing with some reflux.  Feedings have become a challenge and seem to have gotten worse and worse.  By the time she is half way through her bottle, she usually starts fussing.  When we bring her up to burp, she definitely doesn't like it and starts crying.  A lot.  And while she's at it, she tries to scratch our face off.  It is not a pleasant time for any of us. She seems to spit up normally like any other baby, but every once in awhile, she pretty much loses what seems like the entire contents of her stomach.  This usually happens during diaper changes and baths, because she absolutely hates both and screams until she makes herself sick.  She now has a prescription of Ranitidine, an off brand of Zantac.

Rylee spends most of her awake time crying or screaming.  I am hoping that we will eventually get to the bottom of all the things causing her so much pain and she will be a happy baby.  She does like it when you hold her hands and sing and dance with her arms.  This has a calming effect for her.  She also enjoys spending time in the swing, looking in the mirror and at the little animals that circle above her head.

In addition to her hemangiomas and reflux, she has developed a sty in one of her eyes.  This is a pretty minor thing and her doctor assured me it should go away on it's own.  Rylee also has the beginnings of a misshapen head, being flatter on one side.  This is an issue she shares with her brother.  They will both see a physical therapist soon for this, but in the meantime, we are supposed to make sure they lay on the opposite side of what they like to do.

Yesterday was the babies' 2 month check up.  They both got their shots.  I was impressed by how well they handled them.  Both screamed at the injustice, but quickly got over it after being loved on for a few minutes. They then spent pretty much the entire day sleeping and being held.  When you hold Rylee to your chest, she spreads her arms out wide on either side of you, like she is giving you a great big ol' hug.  When you hold Ayden, he curls himself up into the tightest little ball of love on your chest.

Rylee weighs 9 lbs even and is in the 50th percentile, 3% if you don't adjust for her being a preemie.  Her height is 19 3/4 inches in the 10th percentile, 0% not adjusted.  Her head circumference is 37 1/2 cm in the 50th percentile, 23% not adjusted. Rylee still wears newborn clothing and newborn diapers.
This is her Daddy's favorite outfit on her
If you look, you can see the sty on her left eye
A rare smile caught on camera!
Ayden is a pretty a calm baby for the most part, although his sister is starting to teach him how to cry.  It gets pretty humerous at times when they both get going and they cry in unison.  Sometimes we just can't help but laugh.  Mostly he just whimpers and grunts.  He has started to coo a little bit.

The cutest thing ever is when he sneezes.  After he lets out a sneeze, he lets out a sigh.  It is so funny.  Rylee on the other hand, sneezes like her Daddy with a big wind up before the big sneeze, which is also pretty entertaining.

Ayden has rolled over a few times from his stomach to his back.  The first few times I think were just accidents based on where his hands were placed underneath him when I put him down.  Saturday, Tony and I both thought he rolled over intentionally for the first time.  He hasn't done it since though.

He frequently smiles and we think that they are starting to be real social smiles now because he will get a big grin on his face when we talk to him sometimes, or when we stroke his cheek.  You can't help but smile when you see him smile.  It is so adorable!

Ayden is a TANK!  He eats non stop, pretty much to the point I think he eats too much.  Partly I think he likes to eat because it is soothing to him, so I sometimes give him a pacifier instead of more bottle.  Tony and I disagree over this.  He thinks if Ayden is hungry, we need to give him more.  If he is fussy, it must mean he's hungry.  Our pediatrician said we probably should slow down how much we are giving him because he is definitely gaining above the normal rate.

As of yesterday, Ayden weighs 11 lbs, 9 oz and is in the 97th percentile, 27% adjusted.  He is 21 1/4 inches long, in the 50th percentile, 1% adjusted.  He has a ginormous head at 41 cm which is in the 97th percentile, but get this!  His head is in the 93rd percentile adjusted!  We always knew he was going to have a big head, based on all the ultrasounds.  I keep thinking about what the MFM doctor told us - that he is just going to be super smart!

Ayden has outgrown his newborn clothes and is now wearing 0-3 month and 3 month sizes.  He is in size 1 diapers.  He is a big boy.  I'm pretty sure he is going to be one of those roly poly babies with lots of cute little baby fat rolls.  Time will tell!


Love his face!

Now for their 2 month pictures.  This went sooooo much better than we thought it would, except for me being a goober with my camera.  I kept trying to take pics, but had it on video and didn't know it so I missed a lot of really good smiles.  Ayden was very smiley and Miss Rylee was full of funny faces.




It looks like they are dancing!



20 comments:

  1. Such cuties!! My heart goes out to little Rylee. The reflux is all too familiar. I hope she gets some relief from everything causing her discomfort soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling from ear to ear!!!!! Precious, precious, precious!!!! Got to love them babies and their parents!!!! Praying that life calms down for precious Rylee and she can just be full of smiles!!!! But she definitely loves her parents attempts to calm her with all of her big hugs of appreciation!!!! Got to love this family!!!! Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are ADORABLE! I can't get over all the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. Poor Rylee can't catch a break!!! Hopefully all these issues will pass so she can be the sweet baby she was meant to be. Just hold on to this time and enjoy it because they will soon be fighting over who gets the car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the pictures. They are entertaining little babies, aren't they?! I love all the faces. In the one where they look like they're dancing, Ayden looks like he's jamming on the guitar :) I hope Rylee gets some relief soon, poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber! They are just simply adorable!! Happy 2 months babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they are so incredibly cute! I love their facial expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how much they've grown already! Poor Rylee and all she's had to go through, but she's a fighter like her Mama and she'll get through. Speaking of Mama, how are you doing? I can't wait to see how they continue to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are just so stinkin cute!!! I hope poor Rylee gets some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! I am so happy I found your blog!
    www.mommy-dreaming.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE picture blogs!!!!!! Such adorable expressions and you know with all those facial expressions are 2 smart babies!!!! I was just stopping by to check out the pictures again!!! Love you!!! Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, they are precious! I love Rylee's faces in the 2 month pictures, and Ayden has such a cute smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so adorable! I also love the quilt you have for them.
    Ayden seems to be keen on catching up, impressive! I hope Rylee is doing better soon, poor little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These two are too cute, Amber! I've always found that my two take turns being the one in need. Maybe A is keeping his zen because he knows R needs more attention now. Twins are like that, I think. I hope the meds bring quick relief to poor little, R.

    Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Love the picture post. I am dealing with reflux with my Riley, as well. Sometimes it seems like she spits up everything she just ate. It's a miracle she continues to gain weight. The Zantac really helped us with the pain and difficult feedings. We also have the flat head problem but repositioning and tummy time and noggin nests have made a huge difference. Still not perfectly round but getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These pictures cheered me up immensely. They're so precious! I read the breastfeeding post, as well, and totally sympathize. You're a rock star for lasting as long as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very happy for you! When I started blogging a year ago, your blog was one of the first one's I read. I thought 14 years of trying--Wow! It helped put my timeline into perspective and your story has given me great courage. I wish you and your family the very best from life. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, that is so nice of you to say and it means a lot to me that I have been able to help you in some small way. It really means a lot. I don't think I have ever gone to your blog and I am so sorry for that! I'm going to have to come visit soon and read your story. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete