Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Still in Limbo

We are still in limbo land, without an answer as to whether we are moving to Brookings or not. It's too long and complicated to even try explaining, but basically the company proposed an idea to the VA and now we are just waiting to hear if that goes through. If it does, we are moving. If it doesn't, we will be staying here.

We are both torn on what we really want to do. There are so many pros and cons for both moving and staying and we were having an extremely hard time deciding what we wanted. Finally, we were able to agree that if this goes through, we will for sure take it. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up. I know that money isn't everything, but having the opportunity for his income to almost double is HUGE. If this thing with the VA doesn't go through, it's just not enough of an incentive.

Outside of the money aspect, taking over the Brookings office is something that excites Tony. He is totally motivated by the idea and challenge of building up that office. He fully believes that he can make the Brookings office one of the top five in the country. To have him be that excited about going to work everyday, is just as huge as the financial reward.

We've been thrown a curve ball in all of this though. We had planned to buy a house regardless of whether or not we decide to move to Brookings. It's been the plan all along to buy a house this spring or summer. Here's the catch though...

Our landlords have decided to put their house, you know, the house we are currently living in? They've decided to sell it! It's being listed and going on the market this Thursday. In TWO DAYS!

Insert curse words.

Soooooo, we had been looking forward to being able to shop the market and find the perfect house to buy. Now we are being forced into a position to just find a flippin house to buy that will be acceptable. Houses are flying off the market right now. We found a house that we wanted to buy and were even willing to give up the idea of Brookings for, because it was an amazing house that was way under priced. As soon as it popped up for sale, we called on it to schedule a time to look at it. Nope, it was already pending sale!!!

We are constantly keeping tabs on the housing market both in Brookings and here in Veneta, so that as soon as we get that answer from the VA we can jump on scheduling tours and hopefully get an offer put in on something.

In the meantime, I am also stuck with making sure this house looks presentable enough for potential buyers to come look at. Can I just say how much I hate that? Having to constantly clean up after two toddlers (and a husband) is not my idea of fun. My fingers are crossed that this house won't sell that quickly, but I think that is just wishful thinking with as fast as houses are selling right now.

We've talked about maybe just buying this house. It's a very nice house, but it's not exactly what we want. We also think they are asking a bit too much money for a house that doesn't have a heat pump, no grass in the backyard, and no storage. On a 75 degree day, this house easily reaches 80 degrees inside, and that's with opening windows at night and closing them when the temp starts to go up in the morning. The kids' rooms get ridiculously hot on hot days, and are also the coldest rooms in the house during the winter. If we decide to buy this house, we know that we will also be investing in a heat pump, an exterminator (for carpenter ants), and a little remodeling to add some storage space.

I guess time will tell. If this house doesn't get an offer right away, we might be able to barter the price down if we do end up staying. However, this isn't really the house of our dreams. Gahhhhh! Buying a house is stressful enough without the thought of potentially being homeless if the timing of this house selling and us buying doesn't pan out exactly.

Hopefully we will get our answer very, very soon as to whether or not we are moving to Brookings. In the meantime, we are just hanging out in limbo land.  

8 comments:

  1. Don't settle. Wait and find the perfect place. You will be SO much happier in the long run if you do!

    Fingers crossed that you hear news soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I know I just really don't want to have to dea with where to put our "stuff" if we end up with not having a place to live for a few weeks!

      Delete
  2. Don't you have a lease? Does it say they can sell it out from under you? Just because they sell doesn't mean you have to move if you have a lease - the new buyers have to honor the lease. You are under NO obligation to clean up the house for showings. They sprung this on you last minute, why should you bend over backwards for them to sell the house out from under you. Finally, DO NOT buy a house you don't really like, especially if you are considering moving to another city!! Find a month to month rental or even a long term stay hotel until you know if you are staying or going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lease is upon June 30th, and they are not trying to kick us out before then. They will let us stay after, if it hasn't sold yet, although that is highly unlikely. They had initially agreed to go month to month after the first year, and we had hoped to take advantage of that. I will clean the house for showings because I feel morally obligated, and because they are nice people (regardless of deciding this at the last minute), and we have mutual friends in common. That doesn't make us stress any less though! I assure you that we won't buy a house we don't like. It just may not quite be the perfect home we had hoped to find. Oh, and we most definitely won't be buying a home here before a location decision has been made. Thank you for your advice!

      Delete
  3. I agree don't settle, you would probably regret it in the long run. At the same time I can imagine it would feel easier since you already live there along with having two toddlers. I hope you get the news soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just stressful. We won't buy something we hate. We had just hoped to have more time. It's definitely a sellers market right now, and not a buyers!

      Delete
  4. I've never done well in limbo so have absolutely no advice as to how to handle this situation. But I am sending oodles of prayers and good wishes to all of you that answers are given to you quickly so that you can proceed in a direction that you feel good about!!! If your rental does sale, maybe you can rent it temporarily from the new owners!! Worth asking about, one never knows!!!! Where to store your belongings if the worst scenario happens...maybe check into one of those Ipods (I think that's what they are called) as there have been positive remarks about doing that. And then you wouldn't have to load, unload, load, unload repeatedly. WISHING YOU A FIRM DIRECTION TO TURN SOOOOOOOON!!!!! Love and hugs to all of you, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else just today actually suggested the pod to us as well. That's a great idea and may end up being exactly what we need to do. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm not sure we'll get that lucky.

      Delete