Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day in the Life: Spring 2015

I've been wanting to do another Day in the Life post for quite sometime.  Then I saw that Non Sequitur Chica had written one, joining in the Day in the Life series put together by My Life in Transition and I decided to take part!  However, I didn't realize that the cutoff date for documenting was supposed to be April 14th.  I documented yesterday, April 15th, so I don't know if I'll actually be able to have my post included in the series, but I'm posting it anyway!  Here goes:

Tony: 42 years old
Me: 40 years old
Rylee: 15 months old
Ayden: 15 months old

4:52am - I wake up, needing to pee.  I'm amazed that Rylee is still sleeping by herself.  I go to the bathroom, and gloriously head back to my own bed!

6:08 - I hear Rylee quietly talking to herself.  I get up and go to the bathroom, then head to the kitchen to get the twins' morning bottles ready, using the last of the Poly Vi Sol liquid vitamins.  This marks their last day of getting a morning bottle!

6:15 - I get Rylee out of the pack n play and hold her while she drinks her bottle.  I scroll Facebook during this time.  (They had a difficult time going to sleep last night, so Rylee went to the pnp in the spare bedroom)

6:23 - Rylee finishes her bottle and gets down to play.

6:45 - Change Rylee's poopy diaper.

6:50 - I hear Ayden waking up and quietly talking to himself when I take the poopy diaper out.  I go in to get him and change his diaper.

6:53 - Ayden stands at my feet crying for his bottle while I wash my hands.  He's immediately happy when I take it out of the fridge and hand it to him.  I hold him while he drinks it.  Rylee is not happy because she can't have his bottle.

7:02 - I turn Netflix on for our morning cartoon snuggle time.  Today it's Disney's Tarzan.

7:15 - Rylee gets down to play.  Ayden fusses and needs extra loves because he's not feeling well.  Darn teething.

7:20 - Rylee finds her minky blanket and brings it over to show me.  Ayden steals it from her and she cries.  I hand it back to Rylee and he steals it again.  I hand it back to Rylee again, but again he takes it from her.  I get up to get Ayden his own blanket and they are both now happy.

7:30 - Tony is showered and comes out of the bedroom.  Ayden and Rylee get in some daddy snuggles.

7:35 - Time for breakfast.  They go in their high chairs and get cheerios while I make them scrambled eggs.  While they eat, I put in a load of laundry, take hamburger out of the freezer for dinner later, and get half the dishwasher unloaded.  Tony leaves for work.

8:04 - I clean them up, which happens to be pure torture for Rylee.  Ayden is nice and patient.

8:07 - They play quietly together while I finish cleaning up from breakfast.

8:20 - Not so quiet time anymore.  Ayden is crawling up on the furniture and for some reason is not happy about it!

8:23 - Change Ayden's poopy diaper and get him dressed for the day.  Rylee also gets a fresh diaper and dressed.

8:50 - Ayden, as of this very moment, has now learned how to take the outlet covers off and is obsessed!  He won't leave them alone!

9:33 - Snack time.  They get Organic Animal Crackers from Costco, honeydew, and milk.

9:45 - Snack clean up.

9:52 - Get myself dressed and passably presentable for the day.  Put shoes and socks on Rylee.  Start to put socks on Ayden, only to realize he has another poopy diaper.  I discover the diaper basket is empty so I restock it.  Then I change his diaper and finally get shoes and socks on him, as well as jackets on them both.

10:15 - We go for a "bike" ride around the neighborhood and get the mail.  These are the best little tricycles ever!

10:53 - We are back home and in the house.  They found empty water bottles (Cascade Ice sparkling water) in the garage and absolutely couldn't go back in the house without them.  While they are distracted with the water bottles, I return a missed call that came in while we were outside.

11:15 - Lunch time!  They get mixed veggies of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  (Carrots are the best thing ever in our house!)  They also get turkey slices and half of a whole wheat bagel with butter, as well as milk.  While they eat, I take the recyclables out to the garage and finish unloading the dishwasher.  Then I entertain them with silly faces and crazy dance moves.

11:28 - Rylee's done eating and I get her cleaned up before she enters meltdown mode.

11:33 - Ayden's done eating.  I wipe him down and clean up their lunch time mess while they happily go back to playing with the water bottles.

11:41 - I change both their diapers.  Ayden has yet another poopy diaper.

11:50 -  I brush their teeth, which they actually let me do without much resistance for a change.

11:53 - A little bit more play time, which includes mommy snuggles and a tickle session.

12:13pm - Nap time!  W00 Hoo!  They are asleep within minutes.  I fold the laundry and make myself some nachos.  I scroll Facebook while eating them.

12:35 - I balance the checkbook, realizing that it has been a month since I last did it, so it took much longer than it should have!  I also paid bills.

1:43 - Rylee starts crying.  Ugh.  I had plans to work on a letter of recommendation I was supposed to write for one of the softball girls I used to coach.  Instead I shut down the computer and go to the bathroom, giving Rylee a chance to go back to sleep because this is a very short nap compared to the 3 hours they've been taking!  She doesn't go back to sleep.

1:49 - I get Rylee before she wakes up her brother.  She starts crying when we walk into the kitchen and she sees a water bottle on the counter.  She wants that empty bottle!  I give it to her and she is happy.  We snuggle for a few minutes on the couch, with the water bottle of course.

Then she gets a snack cup of Puffs and a sippy cup of water.  We read books, stack cups, play with the shape sorter, sing songs....

3:25 - Decide it's time to change Rylee's diaper and give her a snack, even though Ayden is not up yet.

3:27 - I finally hear Ayden!  I get Rylee set up in her high chair and give her some Gerber lil' Whoo's (crackers) and milk.  I go get Ayden and change his diaper.

3:33 - I put Ayden in his high chair with milk and crackers.  I cut up a pineapple and give them some of that as well.  Nothing like fresh pineapple!

3:54 - They are done with snack, cleaned up, off and playing.

4:15 - I start dinner.  On tonight's menu is tacos.

4:23 - Ayden is back to taking the outlet covers off.  Sigh.  I put it back on and attempt to distract him with something else.

4:25 - Ayden and Rylee fight over a water bottle until I help find the second one.  Now they each have one and are happy again.  I go back to browning the hamburger and cutting up veggies for the tacos.  At one point, I turned around to see Rylee learning to take her shirt off!  She had one arm completely out and was attempting to pull it over her head.

Best picture I could get because she was much too busy to stand still!

5:07 - Dinner is ready, but I play with Ayden and Rylee for a little bit first.

5:25 - We sit down for dinner.  They get a corn tortilla torn into pieces, hamburger, avocado, cheese cut into cubes, tomatoes, and milk.

5:46 - Tony is home from work and joins us for dinner.

6:00 - I clean up the babies and put away the dinner left overs.

6:05 - They play with daddy while I get their bath ready.

6:15 - Bath time and pj's on.

6:30 - Family play time.  We look up the lyrics to the song Little Bunny FooFoo because we couldn't remember anything past the first verse.  I totally forgot the Good Fairy turns the bunny into a Goon!

6:55 - We brush their teeth.

6:57 - It's story time with daddy, except tonight Ayden just really wants his mommy so I sit down with them, with Ayden on my lap instead.

7:05 - We take them both to their room, say our bedtime prayers, give goodnight kisses, and put them in their cribs.  Then I go back to the kitchen to wash bottles for the last time and clean up the kitchen a bit.  Tony makes us popcorn and we sit down to watch an episode of Parenthood together on Netflix.

7:15 - Rylee is fast asleep.  Ayden is crying off and on.

7:30 - We are undecided whether or not we should go get Ayden.  He's definitely not going to sleep.

7:40 - We turn off our show and decide to finish the episode tomorrow.  Tony goes to get Ayden and attempts to calm him down himself, even though we both know it's probably futile because Ayden just wants his mommy.  I take him, wipe his nose and dry his tears.  Tony gets him some Tylenol.  Ayden and I snuggle for a bit on the couch, but then he decides he wants to play.

8:00 - I ask him if he's ready to go to bed.  Ayden climbs down and gives me a huge smile.  Then he takes steps toward the bedroom, turns to see if I'm coming, grins, and I follow him to his room.  I pick him up, give kisses, and put him in his crib.  He cries within minutes.  A lot.  I sit down and scroll Facebook, hoping he will calm down enough to go to sleep, also hoping he won't wake Rylee.

8:15 - I decide he's not going to sleep on his own tonight.  I get milk ready in a sippy cup and go to the bathroom, giving it a few more minutes.

8:20 - He's still crying so I go in and get him.  He snuggles in and guzzles the milk.  Damn.  He was hungry!

8:40 - He falls asleep in my arms.

8:55 - I put him back in his crib and then go back to the living room to pick up all the toys that got spread throughout the house during the day.

9:15 - I take a shower.

9:30 - I get milk sippys ready for the next day's attempt at no morning bottle, as well as snack cups with Puffs.

9:35 - I say goodnight to Tony and crawl into bed.  I scrolled Facebook and Instagram on my phone.

10:07 - I put my phone down and fall fast asleep.

11:58 - I wake up hearing Rylee crying.

11:59 - Crap, Ayden is also crying.  I quickly go in and get Rylee.  Knowing that Ayden was on the verge of waking up as well, I didn't want to put Rylee back down in the pnp because Ayden would still hear her, despite being in separate rooms.  I crawl into bed with her and all 3 of us fall fast asleep within minutes.  I'd rather sleep with Rylee than battle two crying babies for the next few hours.

The end.


  1. I've been waiting patiently for another post and you never let me down! LOVE being filled in with your busy day although I pretty much know how it is and the pictures, ADORABLE!!! I hope the no more bottle is going okay! LOL about Rylee wanting Ayden's bottle! Maybe she understood, this is it and I want just ONE MORE, PLEASE!!! The minky blanket struggle was fun too and Ayden and the outlets!!! Nothing is going to get past these 2!!!! You are a remarkable mother as Tony is a father and you have beautiful, fun children who are very blessed to have you as much as you are blessed to have them!!!!!! Simply love and very proud of you!! Auntie

  2. You're amazing! Truly an amazing mama!!

    1. Aww thanks Aubrey! From one twin mom to another, I know you're a pretty amazing mama yourself :)

  3. Replying to your email isn't working for some reason, but yes! You can be in the round up, no problem at all. Your kids are seriously so adorable, loved this day. Good job and thanks for participating.

    1. Thank you! I'm excited to read the other day in the life posts. Thank you for including me!

  4. OMG! they are getting so big!

    1. I know! It's so crazy! How did that happen?

  5. I remember those days! lol. Exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. :)

    1. Do you mean to say it gets easier? Lol. I have a feeling that my Ayden is going to be a lot like your Jack. Very busy!

  6. So what is the round thing behind the twins on those bikes for? How are our children so big already!?!

    Ayden seems to poop just as much as Izzy!

    1. It's a sun shade! It moves so we can put it up or down. Our babies sure have grown so quickly, haven't they? So much poop! Lol

  7. You are a busy Momma!! It's crazy how quickly they are growing up :)

    1. It always seemed so cliche when people would say how quickly kids grow up. You don't realize how true it is until you literally watch them change right before your eyes! Soon you will be saying the same thing about your own! So super happy for you!

  8. Replies
    1. The funny thing is that I thought it was a pretty mild day and we didn't do much!