Sunday, May 5, 2013

10k Accomplished!

Today was the big Cinco de Mayo 10k race I signed up for.  All my training runs leading up to today were 2.5 miles, so I was a little nervous about running 6.2 miles.  Based on past experiences, I knew I could do it.  I was just worried about how miserable I was going to be.  My husband even asked me last night, "are you even going to be able to run that far?"  I informed him that yes, I have been running at least once or twice a week for the past 7 weeks (not that once or twice a week is a lot, by any stretch of the imagination).  I'm just usually doing those runs while he is at work, so he had no idea!

Because of my lack of training, I went in to this race planning on doing my run/walk intervals.  I'm no dummy.  I'm not going to over do it and end up with an injury.  So my plan for the race was to run jog for 3 minutes and walk for 1 minute.  I actually was able to maintain the 3 and 1 for the whole race!  Even with the walking, my overall race pace was 10:03, which I was really happy with.  I started off super slow, and about the 3 mile mark I thought I was going to die.  For whatever reason though, when I got to about 4.5 miles, I was able to kick it into gear and pick up my pace to finish strong.  I even hit a 7:25 run pace at one point!

I did this race with a really good friend of mine.  We've done a few other races together and used to be racquetball partners, playing doubles in the ORA tournament circuit.  We both had a lot of fun and decided we needed to do things like this more often!  Neither one of us are fast enough to actually compete and place in one of these races, but it always feels so good to be ABLE to do it.  It's a very accomplished feeling.

My friend and I after the race.  We didn't even plan to match, but both showed up wearing the same thing!

 
***********************
 
In other news, I had my suppression check and estrodiol blood draw on Friday.  Everything looks good and we are ready to go!  I was able to drop my Lupron injections from 20 units to 10 units and started taking the Estrace tablets yesterday (just one a day for now).  I go back for a lining check on May 17th, and the transfer is scheduled for May 24th.  I'm a little nervous about the 24th as that is also the scheduled day for the softball State Quarterfinals.  We have no expectations of making it that far in state, but if we do....I'm in trouble.  The plan will be for Hubby to just fill in for me coaching that day, but oh boy, will that be a tough one to explain when he hasn't been out there coaching with me this whole season.  We will see what happens...
 
My softball team has clinched the 2nd place spot in our league as of Friday.  We still have 3 more games left, but we could lose all of them and still have the number 2 spot, so we have officially made it to the playoffs.  I am hoping we can win the first play off game, but then fully expect to play a really tough team from there.  It would be a miracle if we make it beyond that day to the 24th.  Not that I am hoping to lose.  I'd love to win and make it to the quarterfinals.  I just wish it didn't coincide with our baby making plans.  Again, time will tell.


36 comments:

  1. This is all so exciting! I am praying so hard for you! I am happy to hear the team is doing so well! That is great!

    Congrats on completing the 10k! That is awesome! I want to run the Color Dash in September. It is here is Bend! I don't run, though. BOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! I have several friends that have done the Color Dash. That would be a fun one. All you have to do is start running! Start like I do and do a run walk. I started out only running for 1 minute and walking for 2 minutes. Then I shifted those times as I improved. You CAN DO IT!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of fun and felt great.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! A 10K is a huge deal!!! And even more exciting - I'm so glad that everything is looking good for the FET so far. Great news! Abiding with you in this, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Em! I'm starting to get really excited, but also staying realistic that it might not work. Praying every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome, I'm training for a half marathon in two weeks and I'm doing ten minute miles while running the whole time. You should feel very proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome that you are doing a half marathon! Congrats to you. Will this be your first? Good luck!

      Delete
  6. That's awesome about the 10k! I could never do that because of an old playground injury. Can't run without getting tendinitis. =/ And it's so funny you and your friend showed up wearing the same thing! Congrats on making it to the playoffs as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that you get tendinitis. That's no fun. It was really ironic..same v-neck style royal blue t-shirt and black running pants!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations - on the accomplishment of finishing, as well as being so glowingly happy at the finish line!

    I'm glad everything looks good for your transfer. I hope the timing works out well for you, but no matter what happens with it, focus on what's the most important - and in this case, I'd say that's the path to baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glowingly happy, I like that haha! :) I agree about what's most important. We've put softball first way too often. However, it is a job that would be really difficult to just "skip" during the playoffs. As much as I want to win, I do want a baby more!

      Delete
  8. Everything is falling into place and congrats on your marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations!! What a great achievement.

    I am still sending you tons of good vibes, I think you have such a positive attitude which can only help you be successful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take all the positive vibes I can get!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the 10k! I will be running my first 5k at the end of May. I have hopes of doing a 10 mile race in October. I'm not fast but slow and steady :-). Glad to hear all is going well towards your FET as well. And if your DH has to coach then it is just another example for the girls for the Prom Talk.

    Good luck with everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo-Hoo! Go Heather! That is awesome that you will be running your first 5k! Slow and study is good. Not trying to break any records but your own, and that is sometimes just simply doing it in the first place!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your 10k! Glad everything is going well for your transfer so far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you are still doing well!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the 10k, that's huge to me! I can't even imagine going that far. Also congrat's on the 2nd place that is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well thank you. I'm sure you could do it to if you really wanted to! Even just walking it is an accomplishment. Every time I run a race, I always leave so inspired by others that I see doing it. I look at some and think, "wow, if they can do it, SO CAN I!" No excuses :)

      Delete
  13. Hoping all goes well with the appointments! I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the 10K! I have recently started jogging and you are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I love that I can inspire others. Good for you getting out there and starting :) It's always really hard at first, but then it just feels so much better to get out there and do it!

      Delete
  15. Good job on the 10k. I have never done more than a 5k. I recently did a 5k/obstacle course while being chased by zombies. It was really fun. My husband keeps telling me we will start training for a marathon (half marathon?) to get me back into shape post-baby. We'll see. I really want to like running but I'm not there yet.
    I can't believe it's almost time for your transfer already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several friends that have done the zombie run and had a blast! My friend and I were talking about maybe doing a Muddy Buddy run sometime. I'm hoping that I will be taking a break from running very soon. As long as I get that infamous bfp...

      Delete
  16. It is so good to hear about your fun days on this, keeps me in touch. Beautiful pic of you and your friend and CONGRATS to both of you for a GOOD run!!!
    My prayers are with you. Such conflict between softball and baby progress! A very exciting time for both of you and good thoughts just keep coming daily from down south!!! As always, wishing you the best and lots of love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was kind of thinking I looked like a goober in the picture, but anyway... Thanks!

      Our state tournament this summer is in Medford again, so I will be down your way and hope to visit!

      Delete
  17. Congrats on the 10k! It's such a great accomplishment, especially when you've been working so hard at training and getting back into the swing of things. I am crossing my fingers so hard for you this cycle, I think I've lost my circulation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had time to train more! But every little bit counts and I did just enough to be able to run the race, so all is good! Thank you so much for those crossed fingers! However, please don't lose your fingers for me with that lack of circulation. LOL!

      Delete
  18. Yay, congratulations, you must be so proud of yourself! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did feel pretty good about the race, if I do say so myself. However, I didn't think it was a very good pic of myself, but it was after running 6.2 miles so I guess I can't be picky! lol, thanks anyways though :)

      Delete
  19. Great job on the 10K! That is awesome! And look at you all smiley and everything. You are a rock star!

    I did a 5K once. It wasn't pretty. lol.

    Eek! Transfer is getting close! I have such a good feeling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YEAH, you are coming to Medford!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!! Do you know when?
    And girl, you did not look like a goober! You are one beautiful lady, inside and out!!!! And don't you forget that!!!!!
    In my prayers and sending lots of love. Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! That is awesome. Congrats. What an accomplishment...you're going to be running a half marathon in no time. ;)

    ReplyDelete