Friday, February 23, 2018

Sick Again

Now say that in your best Eeyore voice - "sick again." Because I'm feeling a bit Eeyore-ish about this winter.

Rylee missed a day of school on Tuesday because she was battling a fever. She was fine otherwise, but I couldn't send her to school because of the pesky 101℉ fever. She was back in school on Wednesday. Ayden developed a little cough Tuesday afternoon, but nothing serious. But then by Wednesday night, his cough was terrible. I elevated his mattress with some blankets underneath, but that didn't help much. Ayden has struggled with coughs on and off since he was born. It's pretty common for him to get a cough along with most colds, and it's usually worse at night. That night after going to bed, his cough was constant, and he ended up making him gag and throw up a couple times.
Once he finally stopped coughing few hours later, he was able to sleep most of the night, with only a few coughing spells.

He woke up coughing the next morning, yesterday, and saying he didn't feel good. He didn't have a fever though. We also had our first snow day of the year! Ayden and Rylee both get super excited when they see snow. We'd had some snowflakes over the weekend that didn't amount to much, but they were still excited to go out and "play" in the snow. None of it stuck on the wet ground, so playing in the snow consisted of only trying to catch the snowflakes. But yesterday we actually woke up to snow on the ground! It was pretty telling to how much Ayden didn't feel good, because he didn't want to go outside at all. That is, until he saw Tony and Rylee building a snowman when he looked out the window! Then we couldn't get him outside fast enough! He was missing out!

We don't really get a lot of snow here, and I knew it was only going to last a few hours before melting away, so I got him bundled up so he could go build a snowman too.

Meet their new friends, Crystal and Frosty.

I made an afternoon doctor appointment for Ayden, fully expecting it to be a pointless trip to the peds office, but thought I should take him in just in case. I hoped they could maybe give us something for him, if he ended up having another miserable night trying to fall asleep. After eating lunch, which both kids barely touched, I set them up to watch a movie in my bedroom for quiet time. We only had a little over an hour before we had to leave for the appointment, so we didn't really have time to try to get naps in. Besides that, they very rarely actually nap anyway these days, even when I do try.

They both ended up falling asleep while watching the movie. I knew I was going to have some very grumpy cats on my hands, when I had to wake them up and hustle them out the door. I wasn't wrong! It was not easy waking either of them up! I had everything ready to head out the door before waking them, just had to throw jackets, socks, and shoes on them. I did quickly take Ayden's temperature though, because he felt warm and was very lethargic. He had a temp of 101.6℉.

Before waking them up.

By the time we got to the peds office, Ayden's temp was up to 104°! He had no energy to walk, or even stand up. I had to carry him. It was not at all difficult to tell which kid we were there for; Ayden was miserable and Rylee was bouncing off the walls full of energy! It was a challenge balancing Ayden needing all my attention and trying to keep Rylee out of trouble.


Poor guy


Ayden ended up having a chest x-ray done and being diagnosed with a "mild" case of pneumonia. So, I'm glad I took him in! Tylenol brought his fever down, and we started him on antibiotics last night. He is still coughing, but not near as bad as he was. At 9:30 last night, his fever hit 104° again, but Tylenol worked it's magic once again and brought it down. Thankfully, his fever hasn't come back since then.

Rylee may have been full of energy at the doctor's office, but by last night, she also had a fever and started to cough. Sigh...

Today we are having a very relaxing day at home watching movies, reading books, and both are currently napping. Oh, and we made (sugar free) jello. They've never had it before, but both of them don't have super great appetites right now, so I thought it might be a little "treat" for them.

I cannot wait for this winter to be over so we can hopefully move past the never ending colds and sickness!



12 comments:

  1. Oh my, your poor sick kids and you dealing with all that sickness! But who would have guessed pneumonia. Hopefully the relaxing day will help them recuperate! Don't want no more sad, not feeling well Ayden pictures!! Adorable picture of them sleeping! Did they like their jello? You all take care and be well soon! Love & hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rylee did not like the jello at all! I actually thought she was going to throw up when she took her first (and only) bite. Ayden said he liked the jello, but didn’t eat very much of it. He did actually eat all his dinner tonight though! That was a first in the last few days. I ate some of the jello. I didn’t think it tasted bad.

      Delete
    2. OMGosh!!! I had to laugh over almost throwing up over jello!!! I thought everyone loved jello!!! I lived on sugar free jello during one period of my life!! Loved it!!! Glad Ayden ate. Always a good sign towards health! Flowers are starting to bloom so spring is just around the corner and good health with it!!!

      Delete
  2. What a sad picture of a poorly boy. Hope he bounces back really fast and that all of you can have a restful recovery weekend. Look after yourself too, it’s hard work nursing ill children and staying well yourself. Come on spring, we are all ready for winter to be over! Glad Ayden didn’t miss out on the snowmen fun though : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayden's doing much better, but we are all still battling colds! Spring will be very welcome around here!

      Delete
  3. Oh no poor Ayden! This has been a tough winter over here too- can’t wait for nicer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo looking forward to that nicer weather!

      Delete
  4. Poor Ayden! This is exactly how Elliot’s asthma started out. He always got a terrible cough with a cold that would takes weeks to disappear. Then in Nov of 2016 he got pneumonia and the cough never went away. I was shocked that asthma could be just a chronic cough and not wheezing and or shortness of breath but it can be and one sign is a cough that is worse at night or early in the morning upon waking. If you read back through my blog you can find out more details. It was a rough year for him (see December 2017 for the deets) but he’s finally symptom free with no meds. The only things we changed in December when we took him off the meds was getting mattress and pillow encasements for all of the mattresses and pillows in the house and having our ducts cleaned. He’s got an appointment with an allergist next month to hopefully find the triggers so those can be treated without using inhaled corticosteroids. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I'm sorry Elliot's been struggling. Thank you so much for the info. I will definitely be going back to read your posts. I hope that you can get some good answers at his upcoming appointment!

      Delete
  5. I love those snowmen! Your poor babies. This winter just needs to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. I am soooo looking forward to Spring! Warmer weather and less sickness.

      Delete