Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Twin Play Dates

About a month ago, I posted some Newborn baby clothes to the local Facebook garage sale site that Ayden and Rylee had grown out of.  As it turned out, the gal who responded and wanted a few items also had boy/girl twins.  They were born in February, just shy of two months after mine were born.

When I logged into her Facebook page to send her a message giving her my address, I saw pictures of her twins.  Well, of course I was intrigued and then had to snoop and see more pictures of her babies!  As I was snooping, I learned that she had infertility issues and had her babies via surrogacy!  No way!  How ironic that we had this in common - me using an egg donor and her a surrogate.

When she came over to pick up the clothes, we talked for a few minutes about our babies and a little bit about our infertile history.  There was an instant connection.  She had heard about me around town - small town living and me being the high school softball coach and all.  When people found out she was having boy/girl twins, they would say to her "oh!  Do you know Amber, the softball coach?  She's having boy/girl twins too!"  Or something along those lines.  I guess I'm famous!  ha!

When she left, I told her I felt like I needed to give her a hug, so we hugged!

Later that evening, she sent me a FB message inviting the twins and me over for a play date.  We set it up for the following week.

Well, the babies are so little that it was more a play date for us Mommas, but it was so nice connecting with not only another twin mom, but someone who had a similar story.  We shared more about our infertility struggles and talked about our time in the NICU with our twins.  Rylee slept in one of their swings for the play date and Ayden had his very first blowout diaper.  Good times!  Her babies drank their bottles and fussed a bit.

Yesterday we had our second play date, but this time they came over to our house.  This time we put all the babies on the floor next to each other.  Her boy slept through the party, Ayden flirted (because that's what he does!), and the girls interacted with each other.  They tried to hold hands a bit and basically just reached out to touch and feel this other new baby that wasn't their brother.  It was fun to watch how they reacted to each other.

They only live about a mile from us, so we are planning to continue our play dates.  I think it will be so much fun to watch them continue to get to know each other.  Besides that, it also gives me a real life person to talk to that is going through the exact thing I am at the same time!

12 comments:

  1. What a great connection!! I love meeting people who have a similar story to mine, it's so much easier to connect! I am so happy for you :) I hope you can post some pictures of all 4 babies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did take a picture of the babies, but I wasn't sure I should post a pic of her babes on my blog without her permission. It's on Facebook though!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Amber! This is so cool! I'm so glad you found a kindred spirit in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so ironic how it came about for us to meet!

      Delete
  3. How awesome! What a great thing to have.. Amazing how God brings certain people together. I loved the picture of the four of them. Both of your girls are tiny and both of your boys are not. :) Have fun mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!! How awesome that you'll have someone to share your twin experience with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I hope your friendship continues and the babies are able to grow up together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! That's great! And I love how the girls interacted from the get-go... Typical girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds really great. It's awesome to find other people you can relate to, especially in the whole IF world! Love the idea of twin baby play dates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the mommas got energized with this play date!!!! So glad to hear that you have sold some clothes, great recycling! and have found such perfect playmates for your twins and yourself!!!!
    Keep having fun!! Love and hugs to all, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
  9. We joined a Parents of Multiples club and we have a play group for the babies born around the same time as our girls. It's a nice resource to connect to other twin parents. I am dying to know if anyone else struggled with infertility, but am afraid to ask. So far we are the only ones who spent time in the NICU. It's so great you found someone who knows exactly what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a little shocking that in a Parents of Multiples club, that you are the only ones that spent time in the NICU! I'm really surprised. I'd be curious at to if anyone else struggled with infertility as well. I'm sure as time passes and you get to know others more, their stories will eventually come out.

      Delete