Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Goals? What Goals?

So, how are those 2019 goals coming along that I set for myself? To be honest, I completely forgot about them while I was coaching softball. They've been resurfacing in the back of my mind, so I just read through them again. I've actually managed to accomplish a few, or partly, without even trying! But most of them, welllllllll....... I still have 5 months to at least make somewhat of a valiant effort, right?


  1. Run in four races. Nope. Hasn't happened. I know I'll at least be able to check off one big race, as the Hood to Coast relay is fast approaching next month. However, I didn't do any races leading up to that big event. Softball kind of got in the way. I know there's still time in the Fall/Winter, so maybe I'll manage to get another race or two in there.
  2. Lose 25 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a very long time (over a year), so I'm not sure exactly how much I weigh. I know for sure that I lost some weight during softball season, but I also know for sure I've gained most of it back since then. Oops.
  3. Self care. There's still time left in 2019 to make this happen! I did have my eyes checked, and have reading glasses to wear (whenever I remember to put them on). I still need to find a gynecologist and discuss perimenopause and should probably see my regular doctor for a general physical.
  4. Mail birthday cards to all my nieces and nephews. Giant face palm! Hasn't happened. I've missed all of them so far. There's still three more birthdays this year, out of the eight total. Maybe I'll finally remember???
  5. Send a love note once a month to a family member and/or a friend. This is a big fat fail so far. I've managed to send one, but that means I've missed six. This should be an easy one and one that I'd really like to do. I actually did buy a few cards and have them on hand, so I need to just do it!
  6. Put together a resume and find a job. Outside of putting together my softball resume and getting that job, which was already done before this goal was set, I have not done this yet. I still need to. My plans have changed somewhat though. Instead of getting hired in a full time position within the school district, I'm going to get on as a sub first. That way I will still be pulling in an income, but will have the flexibility to not work when a kid is sick or anything else that might come up. We think this will help into the transition of the kids starting kindergarten and me starting back to work. Also, this should make it a million times easier to get hired on when the perfect job opens up.
  7. Finish painting the kitchen and dining room, and also get the hallway painted. This hasn't happened yet, but we are hoping to make headway on this again soon.
  8. Finish unpacking and organizing the garage. This is a work in progress. There hasn't been much more unpacking, but there has been some organization. Key word: some. We still have more time left in the year to make a dent in this as well.
  9. Read five books. Other than reading books to the kids, no books have been read for my own enjoyment so far.
  10. Make the state playoffs in softball. Done! Accomplished! We made it to the State Quarterfinals. This was the first time our softball program had made it to the quarterfinals in 7 years. And we came so close to advancing to the semi-final game!
  11. Have a family adventure once per month, May-September. I honestly forgot about this goal. We didn't do anything remarkable in May, since I was still coaching softball and our season was extended with the playoffs. We did have a family adventure to Enchanted Forest in June for Father's Day though, and we made up for missing May with two trips to the beach this month!
From our day at the Enchanted Forest

While I'm not 100% on target to completing all my goals I originally set out to accomplish, I have made decent progress at some of them. Writing this post has served as a great reminder and motivator for me to get back on track and get some of this stuff done!


8 comments:

  1. Great post & I don't think you are doing to bad on your list of goals as you do have a LONG list & you did take on a job that required an extra lot of energy & your time! So JOB WELL DONE!!! I LOVE that you are going to start out subbing!!! I think that is a great way to transition into the job world again & to ease your family into you being on the job elsewhere than home!!! Give yourself a pat on the back for what you have accomplished this year already!!! Lots of love & hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this as: you aced your professional goal; had some great family times; sorted out glasses; and are working on other things in order of importance.

    It’s not that the other things don't matter. You are simply prioritising. With 5 months still to go, you can choose which of these aspirations to focus on and which ones to release for now. From where we’re looking into your world through the window of this blog you are doing amazingly.

    What a gorgeous photo of your fabulous family! Wishing you all a great summer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have the nicest perspective and things to say! Thank you so much, Jen!

      Delete
    2. I love this response! It's so true, Amber, you're prioritizing. <3

      Delete
  3. I think you are doing great so far! The professional goal was a big one and you nailed it! You rock sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You obviously nailed your goal on the job front! But I am a little sad you haven't had time to read a book by yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I need to seriously read a book just for myself!

      Delete