Thursday, March 15, 2018

You Never Know When

Last night after dinner, the kids were running around being silly and entertaining us. Tony and I were sitting on the couch when Ayden ran up to us and said, "let's all take a picture together, with all of us!" He jumped up on the couch between us and shouted for Rylee to join us. This request was totally out of the blue, because it's something he's never asked to do before. Of course we had to honor his request with a family selfie session! He was so happy and joyful that we were taking these pictures together. Looking at these pictures with all four of us makes me feel pretty mushy and happy as well. I sure do love my family!



You can't have a selfie session without making silly faces!

The way he's looking at his Daddy completely melts my heart.



Last night was Tony's last night home before leaving on a guys trip (to Dallas, TX) for the weekend, so it was nice that we were able to have a little quality time before he left this morning. Reflecting back on these photos, I couldn't help but think about how random it was that Ayden had wanted these pictures taken. The thought crossed my mind of what if these were our last pictures together as a family? I know that's a pretty morbid thought, but I couldn't help but think it.

Maybe it was because of a recent conversation between Tony and me. He had been worrying (as he frequently does) about the dire straights of our financial future for our retirement years. He gets particularly upset because he doesn't think I care about it at all, which isn't true. I just happen to think it's unhealthy to stress about it to the degree that he does, where it effects our quality of life right now.   What good does it do for us, or anyone for that matter, to stress and worry about years down the road when we don't even know what tomorrow will bring. I told him he could get hit by a bus (not likely), or he could get in a head on accident any given day driving to or from work (unfortunately, very likely as there are almost daily accidents on that stretch of road, and way too many are fatal), and then all this stress would be for nothing. Seriously, as much as he worries about our financial future, he's going to keel over from a heart attack and it won't even matter.

You never know when your last day is going to be, or the last day of a loved one. We hear all the time how we should "never go to bed angry," "live each day as if it were your last," and "you never know when you might be seeing someone for the last time."

So right now, I'm solo-parenting for a few days. Then the kids will be spending the night at their grandparent's house on Saturday, while I get to enjoy an evening with my favorite Aunt D, and hopefully Sunday we will all be together again safe and sound. I tend to be a glass half full type of gal, so this premonition feeling I'm having is a bit unwelcome. In the meantime, looking at these pictures brings such a big smile to my face, especially thinking about how that moment made Ayden so happy. May they not be our last; but if they are, I will forever treasure these pictures.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, so much love here & so much breaking my heart as you can understand where this took me & know that I know the truth of your words. But I can also say, if your worry should happen I know you would go through the grief without regrets & that is the best one can hope for at that time! So looking forward to tomorrow, visiting a short period with the kids & visiting a longer time with you!!! Love & hugs, Aunt D PS: Those are pretty special pictures made even more special as Ayden requested that perfect moment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you as I was writing this. You know this sentiment all too well, that one just never knows. Life feels pretty heavy sometimes. I'm glad that you and I both will get to visit and escape with a fun evening full of laughter. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Those are seriously adorable pictures. We are also trying not to stress too much about retirement and paying for college for our kids right now because frankly, putting a lot away is not in our budget right now. We will do our best to make up for the "lean years" when the kids are out of daycare and hope that our salaries grow as the years pass by as well....

    Good luck solo parenting! I've been on my own for the past week and I'm ready for CP to come home tomorrow night from Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All we can do is the best we can! I don't feel like I can complain too much about a few days of solo parenting when you have done MORE than your fair share of that! lol.

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing that post, it totally made my day. I get annoyed as Husband is totally the ‘ we need to save every penny’ type and I remind him that it can backfire; 5 years ago he mailed in our tax return so save a 3% credit charge (grand savings 48 cents) our return was stolen from our mailbox and we’ve been paying 19.99 a month for Lifelock since then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh that is a funny story (in a not-so-funny sort of way)! I think I remember you writing something about that before.

      Delete
  4. I think about this same thing, not a lot but I do. I mean you just never know. I try to remind myself all of the time to really enjoy these moments we have together as a family and cherish them. Beautiful photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget to cherish the little moments that might otherwise drive us crazy. Sometimes we all need a little reminder every once in awhile to stop and really appreciate all that we have. This moment requested by Ayden did that for me!

      Delete
  5. hope your solo weekend went well! (I'll be pulling solo-duty this weekend, as hubby's heading to a bachelor party/weekend in Montreal.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all ended up having a wonderful weekend! Good luck with your own solo-parenting weekend coming up!

      Delete