Sunday, February 11, 2018

2018 Goals

I have never really been one for making New Year's Resolutions, but I have always been an advocate for goal setting. Contradicting? Probably. Goal setting just seems a lot less intimidating. I think it's impossible to be involved with sports almost your entire life and NOT learn how to set goals. Also, after working in a gym for a lot of years, you see first hand how many people make New Years resolutions and never stick with them. After reading Non Sequitur ChicaMine to Command, and Risa at http://risakerslakewrites.com's blog posts about their 2018 goals and reviews of the previous year's goals, I was inspired to write my own goals. So here they are, even if we are 1.5 months into the year already!


  1.  Run in three races (not counting the Hood to Coast Relay). I would like to do do a 5k this spring, and a 10k leading up to the Hood to Coast this summer as small goals to help motivate me to train for the big H2C. Then I would like to do another race in the fall/early winter just to keep things going.
  2. Complete the Hood to Coast relay. I want to be able to complete the relay without injury and without any of my teammates needing to run my legs in addition to their own. I've managed to successfully do this eight times in the past, but my body is not the same as it used to be.
  3. Lose 25 lbs. I really need to lose more than twice that amount, but I'll start with 25, and maybe that will catapult me into losing the rest. My hope is that with all the running I'll be doing, this won't be too hard of a challenge. I always find that eat much better when I am exercising and feeling better. 
  4. Read three books. I used to be an avid reader and would read three books in a week! I miss reading for pleasure.
  5. Finish painting the inside of our house, with the living room, kitchen, downstairs hallway, the downstairs bathroom, and master bathroom being the major rooms that need done.
  6. Finish organizing the garage, hopefully with Aunt D's help???
  7. Get a resume put together. I'd like to start applying for a part time job within the local school district this summer/fall.
  8. Mail birthday cards to all my nieces and nephews. My aunt has always done such a fantastic job of writing letters and sending cards in the mail. I've always enjoyed getting "real" mail. Who doesn't? My mom is also really good about sending cards. I know my kiddos LOVE when we check the mail and there's something just for them. So I want to start doing this for my nieces and nephews, too. 
  9. Celebrate our anniversary with another overnight weekend away sans kids. Last year was our first full weekend away since before the kids were born, and it was so fantastic to be able to focus on just us. It was much needed, and we don't want to wait another four years to make it happen again.
  10. Go hiking as a family once/month May-September. More would be great, but it's easier to plan when we are more likely not having to work around the weather.


2 comments:

  1. Those all look like doable goals and some tie in together with loosing weight, H2C run and 5k's and hiking! And #6, I was wondering if we were going to work on a project when I come up in Mar. & again in May...I guess that would be a yes & I am more than willing!! Family time & projects always work for me! Wishing you all the best but you HAVE GOT THIS!!!! Love & hugs, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw you are very nice to have sending cards as one of your resolutions. This jumped out at me as my closest family didn't bother sending me a card this year and it was really bloody upsetting! Yet I shall continue to send them one and be the nicer person... My resolution is NOT to paint this year, or ever again: I painted three rooms before Christmas and it nearly killed me, I think I'm too old for it now.

    ReplyDelete