Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Our Speed Racer and The Kitchen Project

My weekend was spent emptying our china hutch, a food cupboard, desk, and bookshelf in our kitchen.  It's amazing all the stuff you accumulate in your cupboards over the years.  I found stuff I didn't even know I had!  I had no idea I had so many flower vases and quart canning jars!  Many vases are now boxed up and ready to head to Goodwill, and I've already passed off the canning jars to one of my clients.  It's so nice to get rid of things.

Saturday evening, we went to watch my niece compete in her second race of a four race series.  It was an alllllll night event.  We arrived at the Raceway at 6pm and left at 10pm!  It's not something that Hubby and I are really into, but we are very much into supporting our adorable niece.  She has improved SO much since the last time when we watched her at a practice!  She is the only one competing in her division, so she automatically wins, but they have her race against another little boy that is also the only one in his division.  She was ecstatic when she won her very first trophy the weekend before, and this time we got to be there to see her earn her second trophy.

Taking a break after a warm up practice round.  Isn't she so adorable!  I love her so much!

Getting ready to enter the track for the second heat of the night.

She was SO excited that this trophy is PINK and matches her car!

LOVE HER!
I've mentioned in a previous post that we are getting new flooring in our kitchen/dining room.  That project officially began on Sunday!  Our china hutch is now in our living room and the carpet has been pulled from most of the kitchen.  The kitchen table and chairs are currently residing in our garage.  We just have one little corner of carpet left sitting under the desk, which will be joining the hutch in the living room tonight.

Once we got the big items moved and the carpet pulled up, we decided that we need to take advantage of this time to paint the walls as well.  Hubby has been wanting to do it for a long time, and I was resisting the thought of throwing in another project amongst everything else that we have going on.  However, once seeing the kitchen so bare, I thought it would be ridiculous not to take advantage of this time, especially when we don't even need to worry about ruining the floor!  No need for drop cloths.

So yesterday I went to Home Depot and bought all the painting supplies.  I had an idea of what color we would be going with, but who knew there would be so many different shades of the same exact color!  Ugh!  It took a little while to decide.  I hope I made the right decision, but we won't really know that until we see it on the walls.  I chose a sage greenish color.  I wanted a light green that had more of a grayish undertone.  We'll see how it turns out!

Tonight, my FIL will be coming over to finish moving the desk out of the kitchen.  Then they will be putting plywood down where the carpet used to be.  The section that already had linoleum is raised higher than the carpeted area, so that has to be leveled out before the new linoleum can be laid.

We have through the weekend to get all this done.  Sunday night, the refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher will also need to be moved out of the kitchen.  The new linoleum is being laid on Monday.  Then we aren't supposed to really walk on it or move the furniture back in for at least 48 hours.

This is the current view in our living room, laying on the couch.  Like my socks?  lol

Here's what our kitchen looks like right now.
This is all kind of a pain in the butt right now, but it's only a week and will be SOOooooo worth it once it's done.  I can't wait to see the finished product and am extremely excited not to have carpet in here anymore.

14 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product! You guys are doing so much work, but like you said, it'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All stuff that needed to be done. We just needed the right motivation to do it! :)

      Delete
  2. I love seeing before and after photos of projects like this so I can't wait to see the finished product!! Also your niece is such a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to post a picture of the finished product!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yay for projects! Your niece is such a doll! A speed racer doll at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pic of your niece in her helmet is just too adorable. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Eli are both so adorable!!!! How EXCITING for the NEW kitchen!!!!! You will be so glad that you decided to paint now too!!! Have fun with all of this and sooooooo waiting for pics from the finished project!!!! Love you!!! Auntie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to get it done and am glad we are painting. I didn't realize painting would be so expensive though.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see the finished project! It's amazing what you suddenly decide to accomplish around the house when you have to get ready for babies. We did many things we had been putting off for years and wondered why we didn't do it sooner.

    ReplyDelete