Monday, June 17, 2013

Good News, and Maybe Bad News

First, a review.   Friday I had some spotting, so I called the clinic to ask what I should do.  It wasn't fresh blood, but I was concerned none the less.  They had me go in on Saturday morning to check things out with an early ultrasound.  Because I was only 6 weeks on Saturday, they weren't sure we would actually see a heartbeat since it's usually not detectable until about 6 1/2 weeks.

The Good News:

We do have a baby and we were actually able to see AND hear the heartbeat!  It made me teary in my relief, hearing that heartbeat.  It was 108, which Dr. A said was normal at this stage.  They want it to be over 100.

The Maybe Bad News:

We also have a baby that we were NOT able to detect a heartbeat on.  That's right.  TWINS!  I have two babies in there.  However, we are not sure if Baby A will make it.  It might just have been too early to see the heartbeat, but since we could pick it up on Baby B, it's also highly likely that Baby A miscarried and won't make it to that stage at all.  Dr. A did assure me that this should not harm the baby with the heartbeat.  I have read that with multiples, sometimes one of the fetuses can dissolve in early pregnancy.

So, it was a mixed bag of emotions.  Hubby and I have always wanted twins, but at this stage in the game, I must admit that the thought of a twin pregnancy is both exciting and terrifying all at the same time.  The idea of having two babies doesn't scare me.  In fact, I relish the idea.  We would really like to have more than one child, and getting it done all at once seems like a grand idea, especially since this is our last go at it.

However, the increased pregnancy risk with twins is very scary.  As much as we would love to have two, we really, really, really, really want to have at least ONE child.  We would be extremely happy to live the rest of our lives with an only child, if that is our only option.  We would like two, but the high risk factor is a scary prospect.  What if we don't make it through the pregnancy with either one of them as a take home baby?

But then again, since I am already pregnant with twins, I don't want one of them to already be gone.  Sigh....I really don't know what to think.

Dr. A did say it was okay for me to continue normally.  I asked about going to our softball tournament over the weekend. The first thing she asked was "are you playing?"  No!  I told her that I would be watching.  I did tell her I would be walking around quite a bit though, as it's a little walk to get to the ball fields.  She said that was more than okay.

The one thing I do know is that I am definitely pregnant.  I have not been feeling too great.  It is the worst when I get hungry.  That's when I feel the most nauseous.  I haven't puked yet, but I have been feeling rather sick.  I don't have any aversions at this point, other than food itself.  Haha!  No really.  I can eat whatever, but nothing is really appealing to me or tasting that great.  I can't seem to finish a meal, which has never been a problem for me.  Except for chips and salsa.  I was able to eat too many chips the other day!

If I am hungry, Lord help me if I drink any water.  That makes me feel the worst.  The only thing I drink is water, so this is becoming a challenge.  I'm just learning not to drink if I have an empty stomach.

I also have to force myself to gag down my prenatal vitamin.  That happened last time I was pregnant too.

The one thing I don't have is sore boobs.  Everyone talks about how much their boobs hurt in early pregnancy but I have yet to experience this.  They also don't seem to be getting any bigger yet, which I am thankful for, but I am sure that will probably change.

I am still spotting a little off and on.  Still brownish color.  Dr. A said this could be due to possibly miscarrying Baby A even though it's not fresh blood, but it's hard to tell at this point.

Our next ultrasound is Wednesday.  Only two more days!  I'm really excited because Hubby will be with me for this one.  My fingers are crossed and we are saying lots of prayers for two heartbeats.  Most importantly, we want to see at least the one, to know we have at least one baby continuing to grow strong.

24 comments:

  1. Happy, happy, happy. I'll say a prayer that the next time you have a date with the wand there will be two strong, healthy heartbeats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it! Crossing all my crossables that Wednesday shows little A a flickering away! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending so many prayers that Baby A and Baby B are thriving on Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that Baby A is doing well. I'm crossing my fingers that Baby B catches up by Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! I'm praying for you and BOTH Of your twins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is such exciting news!! Praying for both heartbeats on Wendesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping for great news on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Just to let you know I miscarried a twin with both of my boys. One at 8 weeks, the other at 9. But l pray for both your babies! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait for Wednesday!! Come on good news!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that you got good news! I understand that you're a mixed bag of emotions, but maybe Baby A was just a late bloomer and you'll hear the heartbeat on Wednesday. I can't wait for your update! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew it was twins!!! I am sending up all kinds of prayers for baby A!! How far along are you now? Depending on how far, that could be the reason you didn't see HB on baby A, sometimes one is a few days behind the other.. Hoping A is thriving at your next visit! Sooo freaking happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!!!! I'm so glad you got some good news. As to the iffy news, we will be sending all sorts of positive energy. Yay for babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that both babies make it, of course, but I am so glad to hear there is at least one healthy heartbeat in there. fingers crossed Baby A is just a little slow and catches up.
    Sorry you are feeling sick. It sucks, but people always say it's a good sign. I am over my food aversions but still nothing sounds good. You pretty much have to just put food in front of me and I will eat it. I also had a problem with water. I couldn't drink it for the first trimester because it made me more nauseous. I had sparkling water and juice and gatorade. The key is to sip it. You can't drink a ton at once. Of course, now I can't get enough water. I'm so thirsty!
    I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear about the next u/s.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really happy to hear (most of) this. I can't imagine how hard it must be to wonder if Baby A is going to make it, and yet knowing you have at least one healthy heartbeat in there is amazing! Hope you start feeling better and can at least keep some water down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are so in my thoughts. take care of you and enjoy this time.so much is out of your hands

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy baby B looks so strong and great. Hoping baby a catches up and is thriving as well on Wednesday. I had a feel there were 2 in there. Good luck Wednesday, can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you got to hear the heart beat of baby B. I am looking forward to your results from Wednesday. In the meantime revel in that morning sickness because it means you are less likely to miscarry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! So happy you got to hear a heartbeat and all is good. Will be crossing my fingers that the Baby A's heartbeat will catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy that things are going AOK! I am sure you are feeling lots of complex thoughts and emotions! I will be wishing for healthy heartbeats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praying right now that there will be two strong heartbeats at your next ultrasound. Thanks so much for the update. I've been thinking about you a lot. It's hard to know what else to say here, because I'm so happy about Baby B and so sad/fearful about Baby A. Just know that I'm abiding with you in this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hugs, love and prayers. Stay strong. Would love to be a Great Aunt to twins! Oh, the shopping fun!!!! J was pregnant with twins too and we have an adorable K. The loss is there but the joy overrides that. Since we are related, I never had sore boobs either, maybe it's contagious (lucky us)!! I asked J if this advice had been good afterwards and she said "yes". Try to stop worrying so that you can enjoy every moment, no matter the outcome. Praying for a positive ultrasound tomorrow. Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a mixed bag of emotions you must be feeling. I'm still excited for Baby B and hopeful for Baby A!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking of you guys today, Amber!

    ReplyDelete